My Tuesday Twister

My Tuesday Twister posts are my weekly round-up of what’s going on in my kitchen and our lives, as it pertains to GNOWFGLINS. We try as much as possible to make use of “God’s natural, organic, whole foods, grown locally and in season.” So here we go – I’ll catch you up on what’s twisting in my kitchen this week!

To participate in the Tuesday Twister Blog Carnival, visit this post. See you there!

• Ginger CarrotsNourishing Traditions claims this is the most-liked lacto-fermented food, and I would agree – we all like it. Once again, I feel the LF recipes in NT are a bit on the salty side. I keep cutting back on the salt and enjoying the food more. I made 1/2 gallon of these ginger carrots and we’re eating them on top of a daily salad. The salad contains green lettuce, sprouted lentils, sprouted mung beans, feta cheese, and my creamy salad dressing made from chevre. Oh, I also made a batch of sauerkraut this week, and we’re putting it on the salad as well.
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups – Simply amazing! You’ve got to try these! They come from Avivah at Oceans of Joy. The base for each layer – chocolate, then peanut butter, then chocolate – is made of coconut oil and honey. I doubled the chocolate layer and put a full amount of it as the bottom and top layers of the peanut butter bars. (They would have been cups had I a mini-muffin tin or some small molds.) I also had trouble reheating the chocolate filling to make it fluid again, so I suggest you make each amount right before drizzling it in the pan (or mold). We’re going to have these again this weekend – first better have A. make more roasted peanut butter (recipe is here).
  • Soaked Muffins – I tested out making my basic soaked muffins using kefir for the soaking instead of raw milk plus an acid. The consistency didn’t change a bit, even with our kefir being a little on the thick side. However, the kefir is sour while the raw milk is sweet, so overall the muffins tasted like they were barely sweetened. Next time, I’ll up the Rapadura to 2/3 cup (instead of 1/2 cup) when using kefir for soaking.
  • Easy Raw Chevre – I shared a tutorial for making raw chevre at Ren’s blog, Edible Aria. I’ve mentioned making chevre oodles of times but not yet showed you how I do it. My instructions differ from the original recipe at Fias Co Farm. I figured out some things that make the cheese work better for me. Some good questions in the comments, too.
  • Jerky Gun – I got a jerky gun last week! It worked so amazing for making jerky sticks. I even took a picture but had big card data problems with my camera. (If I told you I would start crying again.) So, no picture… :( But they were good!

So, that’s it for me – what’s twisting in your kitchen? To participate in the Tuesday Twister Blog Carnival, visit this post.

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

1. Jeanna says

I made the soaked muffins today with my 4 year olds for the first time. I didn’t have kombucha so used yogurt to soak. They were super! We ended up putting zuchini in them. I was very happy with the not so sweetness. My kids love them and they aren’t getting as much of the sweet stuff!

Wardee – need to know more about the jerky gun! I was just going to forage into jerky from hamburger instead of steak and thinking about that gun last night. Then I thought it’s probably a gimmick, if Wardee can make it without the gun I don’t need it. Then today you fess up you bought the gun. Need to know more!
    .-= Sustainable Eats´s last blog post… Dark Days Week 11 =-.

I am always afraid the soaked muffins will turn out heavy, at least the first time I made them they did. I will try your recipe and see what happens, and thanks for the tip on adding more rapadura!

@Sustainable Eats – Annette, yes, I bought the gun. :) It is plasticy and made in China. So that’s ick. There are some spendy stainless steel ones available. You can definitely do jerky without the gun. Definitely. The reason the gun is cool is because the jerky takes less time overall and the sticks are more consistent in thickness. The jerky gun came with three tips – for a round stick, a wide/flat stick, and narrow/flat stick. I didn’t like the two flats at all and ended up using the round stick tip only. I like it and I’ll use the gun for ground beef jerky from here on out – but you don’t need it. It was also easy to clean and use, two important issues for me. So, what are YOU going to do?

Katy – Yes, I agree! I keep using half the salt and all the whey and the foods turn out best that way. How about for you?

Jeanna – I’m glad you liked them!

Millie – You will love the pb cups!

Melanie – These muffins are not heavy – make sure you use spelt flour or ww pastry flour. They would be heavier with ww (IMO). Let me know what you think – I’d love to hear.

6. Kelli says

How did these chocolate peanut butter cups compare to Kimi’s? Did you use an 8-inch square pan? I almost passed over making these, until I saw you liked them!

Wardee—Those chocolate-peanut butter bars DO look amazing! My husband loves the really-bad-for-you commercially made ones, and I’m so excited to make him this healthier version! Plus, I DO have mini-muffin pans, so I’ll have to try making “cups.” :-)
    Love,
    Sonya

Kelli – You know, even though I wanted to do it ages ago, I have not tried Kimi’s version. Have you made those? Yes, I used an 8″ square pan.

Sonya – My husband’s favorite candy from our days “before” are Reese’s peanut butter cups – and he loved these.

8. Kimber says

Okay, Wardee. Today… I am going to make beef jerky. I don’t have a jerky gun, but I’m wondering if a large, disposable pastry bag with a big round tip would work.

1. [...] Peanut Butter Cups ~ More of these! Jeff specifically asked for them, so I had to make them. I think they would make a good Valentine’s Day treat, too. I’d like to get some little candy molds to make them pretty and you know what? They would make a good food gift for a birthday, holiday, or Christmas. I figured out how to re-liquefy the chocolate layer. Add a smidge more coconut oil, bit by bit, while reheating and it will smooth out again. And I didn’t mention last week – but I totally omitted the nut meal (from Avivah’s original recipe). [...]