My friend Julieanne shared this yummy maple sugar cookie recipe with me. I tweaked it to use Rapadura and sprouted flour. We love the wonderful maple flavor, along with the nice crunchy outside and chewy center. Like many other cookies I make, I like to use sprouted flour for these reasons:
- sprouting the grain neutralizes the naturally-present phytic acid, which ensures maximum mineral absorption.
- no need to soak the flour overnight because the phytic acid is already neutralized – a make and bake cookie!
- sprouting grains increases the nutrition of the grain – for example, when wheat is sprouted, certain B vitamins and vitamin C levels go through the roof.
- sprouted grains digest like vegetables – this is really exciting if you’re trying to watch your carbs!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Rapadura or Sucanat
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup, Grade B
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups sprouted spelt flour – here’s how to do it yourself
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cream together the butter, Rapadura (or Sucanat), maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients. Mix well.
Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Shape into two or three logs and roll each one up in natural waxed paper. They should be almost as long as the waxed paper is wide, about 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Chill once again, for at least 15 minutes.
Cut 1/4″ slices off a log, and place on parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown at the edges.
Transfer cookies to cooling rack to cool, or slide the parchment paper off the baking tray (with the cookies) onto a work surface.
Store tightly when cool. Enjoy!
Visit the Gallery of Christmas Cookies for more nourishing Christmas dessert ideas!
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!
Provide your family with healthy, delicious, nourishing meals! As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!