Basic Sprouted Muffins

sprouted-muffin-single
I’m on a mission, can you tell? … I’d like to have “basic” recipes for most everything a nourishing kitchen can produce. Yesterday, I shared the basic soaked muffin recipe, which we are all enjoying very, very much. Today, I’m sharing the basic recipe for sprouted flour muffins. Truthfully, it is much like the basic soaked muffin recipe, except the order is a bit different due to eliminating the soaking step. Also, this doesn’t call for rolled oats, nor quite as much salt.

Using sprouted flour offers great benefits. First, sprouting the grain neutralizes the naturally-present phytic acid, which ensures maximum mineral absorption. If left alone, the phytic acid would block mineral absorption.

This leads to the second benefit: if using sprouted flour, you don’t have to soak overnight because the phytic acid is already neutralized. These are a make and bake muffin.

Third, sprouting grains increases the nutrition of the grain. For example, when wheat is sprouted, certain B vitamins and vitamin C levels go through the roof.

And finally, sprouted grains digest like vegetables – which is really exciting if you’re trying to watch your carbs!

In case you’re wondering if sprouted flour tastes anything like sprouts, think again – these taste just like any other delicious muffin.

Makes 1 dozen muffins

• 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar or Kombucha
  • 1 cup raw milk
  • 2 local, pastured eggs
  • 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice or Sucanat or other solid natural sweetener (powder in food processor if coarse)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup virgin, unrefined coconut oil (melted if solid at room temperature)
  • 2-1/4 cups sprouted spelt flour – here’s how to do it yourself
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder

Spices of your choice: (I like…)

• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Add-ins of your choice: (I like…)

• 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped crispy nuts (soaked, then dehydrated ala Nourishing Traditions style)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini, apple, or carrot (additional moisture may require additional cooking time)

sprouted-muffin-batter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, apple cider vinegar (or Kombucha), and sweetener. Whisk well. While whisking, add coconut oil.

Combine flour, salt, spices, and baking powder in a separate bowl and fluff with a fork. Add to wet ingredients and mix until smooth.

Add add-ins and mix to incorporate.

sprouted-muffins

Fill oiled muffin tin, or paper-lined muffin tin, with the batter to a generous three-quarters full each.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and muffins are gently browned.

Take out of oven and transfer muffins to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container when fully cooled.

The Gallery of Thanksgiving Sides is coming up on Thursday, November 19 – think about what Thanksgiving side dish you’d like to contribute!

This post is part of Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet.

Comments

• Michelle says

These look great but the sprouted wheat part of the recipe was omitted. Please post the recipe again with the sprouted wheat. Thank you.

Michelle — The recipe calls for sprouted spelt and it is listed above. Feel free to substitute sprouted wheat, but you’ll use a little less (start with 1/4 cup less and add from there).

Well, these look and sound just as delicious as the soaked muffins, and I can’t wait to try them myself and do my own taste test. I think your “basics” will quickly be adopted at my house! Did I ever tell you that I want to be just like you when I grow up?!?! ;-)
    Love,
    Sonya
    .-= Sonya Hemmings´s last blog post… On My Plate: Birthday Cakes =-.

Okay, you’ve convinced me. I’m going to have to try to sprout some flour. My soaked muffins have been working out good but I need something for when I am not as organized as I want to be.
    .-= Millie´s last blog post… Rubber Meals =-.

Wardee,
    I made these this morning & they were GREAT!! Thanks!
    I liked them so much I made a second double batch, then split the batter & made one with organic coconut, choc chips & crispy cashews; the other with crystalized ginger, dried pear & crispy pecans. I put them in cupcake papers in my extra muffin pans & wrapped them well & they are in my freezer now, so I have them ready for later…
    I’ll let you know how it works out…
    .-= Erin Davy´s last blog post… A Day at the Farm, My Happy Place (or one of) =-.

That’s great, Erin! I love the additions you added. It is soo good to have muffins ready to go in the freezer. I do this often – make two or three batches.

4. Rebeccah says

these sound wonderful! I am wondering if I could use sprouted hard red wheat in place of spelt? Would I adjust the proportions? Thanks!

Rebeccah – Yes you can! I would expect you’ll need less flour. If you know muffin batter consistency, that’s what to shoot for. A guess is to use 1 to 2 tablespoons less flour per cup. Then add more if you think you need it.

5. tara says

Wardee, have you used this recipe to make more of a savory muffin? I’m looking for a sprouted flour cheese muffin to add to dinner tonight.

Tara — No, I haven’t. But I’d just take out the sweetener, increase the salt (double maybe?) and then add cheese and whatever else to the batter. I bet you figured it out by now. :)

6. amy says

Are your additions up to 2.5 cups (as in raisins, nuts, coconut AND shredded fruit/veggie) or up to 1 cup (as in raising, nuts, coconut OR shredded fruit/veggie)?

On a different note, if I added 1/2 cup cocoa powder to make these “chocolate muffins” would you suggest reducing the flour by the same amount?

7. Laura S says

YUM! I’m chowing down on one of these right now, fresh out of the oven, and they are so delicious. This is going in my personal recipe collection. I love having a basic recipe that I can modify based on my preferences at the time, and this is a winner.

Today I added some blueberries I’d frozen from our u-pick adventure a few months ago. Mmmmm.

• Laura S says

Oh, I should have noted the amendments I made. I used lemon juice instead of vinegar, and I used 3/8 cup sucanat and a half tsp of green stevia powder. Next time I’ll try 1/4 cup sucanat and 1 tsp green stevia. (A 1/4 cup of sugar equals about a tsp of greens stevia powder in regards to sweetness.)

8. Nancy says

I MUST have done something wrong! They taste like baking powder and are not very sweet at all. My kids have all turned up their noses and I don’t blame them. Is 2 tsp baking powder correct? I added the cinnamon and zucchini. They were also quite greasy. The muffin papers were drenched and fell right off and I had to sop up grease.

Nancy — It’s been so long since I’ve made these. Sopping up grease doesn’t sound right. How much and what kind of flour did you use? Maybe you need to use more. Also you can increase the sweetener if you want a sweeter muffin. 2 teaspoons of baking powder is correct. Hmmm… I’m really sorry they didn’t work for you.

Just tried these and they are absolutely delish! I used organic sprouted soft white wheat berries, fresh ground in my vitamix. I used about 2 Tbsp. less flour than they called for and it was perfect. These are bound to be a family favorite! Wish I had doubled the recipe – the dozen it made will fly out of here. :-)