Gallery of Soups

I’m excited and thankful for the beautiful, real food soups that were submitted for our Gallery of Soups today! Thank you, all! I have plans to make many of them. I need to find some antelope to make Millie’s Antelope Stew! ;) And I think it is super exciting that so far, three “cream of…” soup recipes were submitted – cream of turkey, cream of chicken, and cream of tomato.

Click on an image or the soup’s name to be taken to that blogger’s recipe.

Do you have a real food soup recipe to share? If you’re a blogger, leave a link to the recipe’s blog post in the comments – and make sure your blog post links back to this post. Then I’ll add your recipe to the gallery (as long as there’s a picture). If you’re not a blogger, but have a recipe to share, feel free to post the recipe in the comments.

Comments

These all look so wonderful. It is definitely soup season! I wanted to submit a recipe but just didn’t make it. Maybe next time?

For me, I love using onions, garlic, a fresh herb like rosemary or basil, as many garden veggies as possible, a homemade broth, lemons juice, lime juice, lemon or lime zest, spices you wouldn’t think of like nutmeg and other spices and herbs to season my soups.

In a beef stew that I make, I add orange peel and fresh thyme and the combination with some tomatoes or paste is very yummy. It seems though that if I have a homemade broth, it doesn’t take much to make it yummy!

Thanks for putting this together!
    Sarah
    .-= Sarah Schatz – menu planners for limited diets´s last blog post… Homemade Ketchup =-.

2. Martha Bisharat says

Here’s my recipe for Lamb-Barley Soup:

Ingredients:

2 lamb shoulder steaks or shanks
    3 quarts water
    1 onion
    1 14-oz can organic stewed tomatoes or 1 large tomato with 3 T tomato paste
    1 1/2 cup hulled barley (cooked or to be cooked)
    Spices/Herbs: 3 nice sprigs of fresh rosemary, basil, turmeric, salt and pepper
    1 cup fresh or frozen green beans (mostly to add colorful appeal)
    One handful pasta ribbons (optional)

Saute cut up steaks or whole shanks in 3 T olive oil. Add water and boil until very tender (at least an hour). I cook my barley ahead and freeze in quart size bags, but you may add uncooked barley about 1/2 hour before meat is tender, or if barley is already cooked to the onion mixture to follow.

In another pan, saute chopped onion in olive oil, add chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned). If canned tomatoes are used, the juice can be added here too. If tomatoes are fresh, add the 3 T tomato paste to strained* lamb broth.

Remove lamb when tender, strain broth if there is no barley cooking, otherwise skip the straining. (Broth will be slightly clearer if strained, but it does not matter really.)

Combine onion/tomato with broth. Add seasonings. Pick through the lamb pieces to remove fat and have bite-sized pieces, then return meat to the soup. Let slowly boil for 15 more minutes before adding green beans or pasta, then continue until all are tender.

Serve with sourdough bread, and enjoy!

3. Christina says

My favorite is pumpkin soup! I used to saute onions, add chicken broth and cooked squash or canned pumpkin and puree it in the blender. Then heat and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Lately I discovered that if I add cooked squash to leftover chicken soup and mash it with a potato masher, then add cream or milk, it has a lovely texture with flecks of green and chicken- super yummy and beautiful!

Martha,
    Thank you so much for you lamb recipe. I have a couple of shanks in the freezer that I wasn’t sure what to do with. It isn’t enough for a meal for all of us so I was stumped. Your soup will be perfect!
    .-= Millie´s last blog post… Antelope Stew =-.

5. Martha Bisharat says

Dear Millie,
    You are so welcome, and I hope you enjoy the soup! The shanks will be perfect! I combined the shanks and steaks because the steaks were last year’s lamb, but we received our new lamb and I wanted to try out the flavor of the meat. So I boiled them separately, and after tasting the broth and meat was satisfied with our newest lamb. The resultant flavor was outstanding, but then we have always loved lamb in everything, to which Wardee will attest, since she grew up eating lamb dishes regularly! Thanks for the antelope stew recipe, too! Martha

I love, love, love soup! I’ve wanted to make one combining beans and greens for quite a while. Using a bag of South American beans (picked up at my local grocery store, but I’ve read they are particular to Peru), I made a go of it. Hope others enjoy them as well.
    .-= Shyla´s last blog post… Mayacobas y Verdes =-.