Sourdough Whole Wheat Tortillas

Oh, yumm… These sourdough tortillas were awesome! Chewy, soft, and pliable! The second day, I heated them up in a warm skillet, one by one, where they retained all their first day softness.

Also see the soaked version of these tortillas, which are every bit as good.

This recipe is demonstrated in our Sourdough eCourse. We’re open for enrollment any time — please join us!

Makes 24 large or 32 small tortillas

• 6 cups whole wheat flour (preferably freshly ground)
  • 1-1/2 cups pure water
  • 1-1/2 cups fed starter
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or melted virgin, unrefined coconut oil
  • extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil for frying

In bowl of mixer, combine water, starter, salt and oil. Mix to incorporate. Keep mixing and adding flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough cleans sides of bowl and forms ball in center of bowl. Let the machine knead the dough for 2 minutes. Remove dough. Place in a bowl that is oiled with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. Rotate the dough around so all sides get coated with the oil. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Let rest for twelve hours or overnight. The dough will rise, and that is normal.

After rest time is over, divide the dough into 32 parts for small tortillas or 24 parts for large tortillas. Roll each part into a ball and put the balls back in the bowl. Cover the bowl again to prevent the dough from drying out.

Heat a flat cast iron frying pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil. Oil a clean, flat work surface, such as a countertop. With an oiled rolling pin, roll out one ball of dough into a circle that is approximately 1/8″ thick, or your desired thickness. Place rolled out tortilla in the pan. Let it cook for about 25 seconds or until there are several bubbles in the tortilla. Flip the tortilla with a spatula and cook the other side for another 15 to 25 seconds, or until the bubbles are browned*. Remove tortilla from pan and place between towels to stay warm and moist. Meanwhile, roll out the next tortilla. Repeat until all of the balls have been rolled out and cooked. Add oil to pan and/or rolling pin as needed. Store in a zipper seal freezer bag in refrigerator or freezer.

*Adjust heat or cooking times to account for your stove, pan, or thickness of tortilla.

Comments

Yum! I have my Great-Grandma Martinez’ tortilla recipe, which is our standby in my kitchen, but I am always on the lookout for more sourdough recipes so will definitely have to try this one out!

Thank you!

Best,
    Sarah
    .-= Sarah´s last blog post… Homemade Pantry Staples =-.

Mel – I’m jealous. :) I want one of those! I think this recipe would work great. The dough is soft and pliable, so I can’t think why it wouldn’t press out well. Some whole grain doughs are tough; this is not. Try it and see! Be sure to let me know!

2. Deb says

Wardee, thanks for the recipe — made it last night and we had them this morning with some spicy black beans, fried egg and poblanos stuffed with pepperjack cheese. Very good. Your tortillas look much more tortilla like than mine–I had a few problems with pretty sticky dough and transferring them from counter to frypan. Thanks, very good

3. Gia says

Always lookin for a another way to use my starter. These were great. I did make some after 6 hrs they were good but then today made some and they were even better. Rolled out great, nice and thin (better than my white flour counterparts). The taste was smooth. I was worried they would be to tangy and heavy but they weren’t. Yummy with butter and honey!!! Gonna make more and make chips/crackers to bake out of them. Thanks!!!!!

Rebecca – I haven’t done these with spelt, no. In general, I use less spelt than ww. But, with sourdough, it also depends on if the starter was fed with spelt or not. When I feed my starter with ww, it is thick. When I feed with spelt, it is more thin. So I end up using more spelt if only that is a factor. But if the thickness of the starter is not a factor, then usually, less spelt is required (though the dough seems stickier). Have I totally confused you? You’re a great cook, so I know you can “feel” whether you’ve got a good tortilla dough. If you do spelt, they are going to be more fragile and definitely need a warm-up the second day, or actually, anytime after they’ve cooled. They get harder with spelt. I’ve done regular spelt tortillas and sprouted spelt tortillas, and that’s how those behave.

4. Susanna says

I tried this recipe last week and it was phenomenal!!! Is it OK to let it rise longer – say closer to 24 hours? Does that make it more sour?

Susanna – Yes, you can let it go 24 hours. The taste will be more sour. When I make these, I let them rest 24 hours so 100% of the phytic acid will be reduced. They are not too sour for us. I’m glad you enjoyed them!

5. Susanna says

I let them soak/rise for 20 hours and they turned out great – still not too sour for us. I just have to say this is an amazing dough to work with – so easy to roll out! I do use flour for the rolling process (instead of oil) because it works better for me. I multiplied the recipe 1.5x and then used my large cast iron griddle to cook two tortillas at a time, so now we’re set for a couple weeks. (I just freeze them.) Thanks again for posting this recipe!

6. Kimber says

Good morning, Wardee!

I’m considering taking the plunge with sourdough. I am NOT (yet) a breadmaker. I’ve fiddled with yeast doughs on a couple of occasions, but am definitely not a pro. I’m wondering where you got your sourdough starter, or if you just caught it wild yourself. Any and all helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

I’m slowly working my way, one small step at a time, into traditional cooking. When I look back at the little changes I’ve made over the last year or so, they’re actually starting to add up! I’m no longer intimidated by lacto-fermented veggies. Score! Making homemade yogurt is now a snap. Raw milk and pastured chickens are in the works. My boys love whole grain blender-batter soaked pancakes with pastured eggs for breakfast. I’ve got kombucha “working” on my pantry shelves.

I definitely don’t have it all worked out by any means, but each tiny step gets me that much closer, and my family gets that much healthier. Baby steps. Baby steps…

Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication. You are very much appreciated! :-)

Kimber, you are doing fantastic! So many wonderful changes – that’s what its about, a little at a time. Then you look back and can see how far you’ve come.

I got my starter from Cultures for Health – the New England sourdough starter. It is versatile and I feed it whatever flour I’m using at the time: spelt, ww pastry, hard red wheat, hard white wheat, rye… Its been going strong for a year.

I had tried to catch a wild yeast starter before and failed, so I chose to get an established starter this time. I’m glad I did. But then again, I’d like to try catching my own someday, too. And I probably will.

There’s a free starter you can get at: http://carlsfriends.org . It is an Oregon Trail sourdough starter that is very, very old. A bit of history in your kitchen! Donations are accepted, but all that’s required is a self-addressed stamped envelope with your request.

7. Kimber says

Thanks, Wardee. I’ve been to the carlsfriends site before, not sure why I didn’t send for a starter. Duh?! Anyway, I’ll also check out Cultures for Health, and see what’s there.

I don’t have a mill, so I’ll be using store bought flour. Do you know if that makes a difference with the sourdough success/failure rate? I know the nutritional benefits of the fresh-milled flour, I’m just wondering if it will affect the sourdough. Anybody??

Today, since my front yard is burgeoning with weeds, my boys & I are going to be adventurous and try making violet jelly and dandelion jelly. I’m off to buy some pectin. Here goes nothing!

8. Nailgun says

Halved this to make sure it’d pan out alright (ouch, pun).

Did around a 24-hour room-temp ferment (olive oil coat) using WW but used a started I feed with organic white.

Refrigerated dough for a bit and rolled out onto parchment paper for ease. When each testale (ball of dough) was rolled out, I just flipped the paper into the pan with some oil and pushed it down with a finger and/or wooden lifter.

After about 5 seconds on heat, the paper would release and I could go re-use the sheet for the next tortilla.

I used this
    as a filling and it was fabulous.

I started these last night and rolled/cooked them this morning. They turned out great! I halfed the recipe and got 12 large tortillas out of it. I couldn’t believe how easily they rolled out. This is a recipe I’ll be using again. :) Thanks!

10. Karena says

I know this recipe has been here for awhile, but I was wondering if you recommend soft ww flour or hard ww flour? I have both and I am not sure when to use which one. Thanks for any information you can give.

11. Elaine says

Hi, tried these and it was a disaster. How does one move them from the rolling bench to the fry pan?? As soon as I tried to lift one it tore or stuck to my well oiled moving instrument, rolling pin, spatula etc. Also when placed hot pan on work bench it cracked my high heat resistant Carron work bench!!!

1. [...] every time I improve.  I’ve been working off of this recipe. Next time I might try making sourdough tortillas, as I have a bunch of sourdough starter. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first [...]

2. [...] two. Pancakes or waffles to start the day. English muffins and crackers for mid-day power. Pizza, tortillas, and biscuits to help us bring our day to a satisfying close. Delicious, and crazy how time [...]

3. [...] She requested tacos for dinner and brownies for dessert, so I ground spelt flour and got the sourdough tortilla dough souring. The beans are simmering for refried beans. And in a few minutes here I will bake the [...]