Homemade Kamut Pasta (Soaked)

IMG_7118I think Kamut is a great grain to use for pasta because of its hearty, nutty flavor. We all enjoyed these noodles very much. The first night, we topped them with homemade chicken soup. Then the next day, I reheated the leftover noodles in a bit of water on the stovetop, to steam them back to warmth. We topped those with beef stew. I think it is a good idea to keep noodles separate from the main dish, which prevents them from turning into soggy leftovers.

Because this calls for soaking the kamut flour (in order to neutralize phytic acid), plan on making the dough up to 8 hours ahead of time. Even though I balked at soaking a few months’ back, now I find that when it comes time to cook, I’m happy that most of the work is already done!

IMG_7093

You may add salt to this dough, but sprinkle it on and work it in after the rest time is over. I prefer to use salty water for boiling and/or to salt the noodles after cooking, which seems easier to me. :)

• 3 cups kamut or whole wheat flour
  • 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 to 1-1/4 cups pure water
  • 3 quarts pure water
  • 1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for tossing noodles
  • herbed seasoning salt (optional)

Mix together the flour, apple cider vinegar, and water to form a stiff dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest for 8 hours or overnight.

After time has elapsed and using additional flour, dust a clean countertop. Separate dough into three parts.

With rolling pin, roll out one section of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using knife or pizza cutter to cut the pasta into 1/2 inch wide strips.

IMG_7098

Transfer to a baking sheet and lay out to rest while you repeat the rolling and cutting with the other two sections of dough.

Fill a 6 quart pot half full of pure water. Add the salt and oil to the water.

Bring to a boil.

Carefully add the noodles to the water. Use tongs or a fork to separate the noodles.

Bring back to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, until cooked. Toss the noodles every minute or so in the cooking water, to prevent sticking.

IMG_7113

Remove from heat. Drain by pouring contents of pot into a stainless steel colander in the sink. Transfer noodles back to the pot. Toss in additional oil to prevent sticking. Season with herbed seasoning salt (optional).

Enjoy!

© Copyright 2009 by Wardee Harmon.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesday, this week hosted by Cheeseslave; and Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet.

chocolate milk

Comments

1. Jen says

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I haven’t ventured into homemade pasta yet, but this seems simple enough. I can’t wait to try the noodles! :)

I’m not a homemade pasta kind of girl, but this sounds wonderful. I like that you said it has a nutty taste. My son makes pasta all the time. I will have to give him this recipe so he can make me some. THANK!!! Geri
    .-= Geri@heartnsoulcooking´s last blog post… " PORK AND CIDER STEW " =-.

I make an egg noodle that is very similar, actually the only difference is the addition of eggs. I use wheat flour though, have not tried kamut. My question is, how much can you taste the vinegar?
    .-= Marg´s last blog post… Crabapples galore! =-.

I LOVE making homemade soaked pasta dough! It’s one of our favorites, and you are right, it’s so frugal too. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

Wardee,

I really miss pasta! I don’t buy it anymore because I’ve realized the stuff in the store is NOT good for my family…and the whole wheat and brown rice pastas taste like cardboard. I will definitely be trying this recipe. I want my pasta back! :) Thank you for showing me that it is possible.
    .-= Tammy´s last blog post… Skype Call: Cheeseslave & GNOWFGLINS =-.

6. Tammy Rodriguez says

have you tried drying these? how long can you leave the dough “soaking” before you roll it out?

Tammy – I have not tried drying these, but I have read it is not hard. Leave spread out on a clean surface and turn over to the underside when the top side is dry. At room temp, it should not take long.

I have left the dough soaking for 24 hours. I wouldn’t be afraid to go longer, either, unless it was very warm out.

7. Julie says

I have a KA attachment for making spaghetti and macaroni etc. You put in walnut sized pieces of dough in and it extrudes the shaped pasta. Just got it, and have yet to experiment with it, but hope to find a soaked recipe that works as we love pasta and I want it to be nutritious. I will likely be using hard white winter wheat as that is what I use for most of our bread baking.

8. Alida says

Hi, a million thanks for this recipe, the kids and I made some fettucini pasta for dinner with kamut flour, it was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !! I especially love it because it does not use eggs. This is a sure favorite from now on in my kitchen !!