Working on Homemade Pizza

IMG_6949

We’re working on pizza – last night was a good start. Inspired by Jen @ Mommy’s Soap Box, I made a sourdough pizza crust. I used about 1/3 of a batch of my spelt sourdough dough for each crust.

IMG_6938

Roll out on pizza stone, to overshoot the edges. Roll up the edges. Prick all over with a fork. Pre-bake in a 475 degree pre-heated oven for 5 minutes. Pull out and set aside.

Then I got a little (too?) creative. I decided to make a chili pizza. For the sauce, I took the thick leftover black bean chili from the night before, pureed it in the Vita-Mix, and spread it all over the crust. Then I spread cooked chicken chunks all over that, and then topped that with homemade goat cheddar cheese. The pizza went in the oven for about 10 minutes at 475 degrees (pre-heated).

IMG_6953

The good: The crust didn’t get soggy (we hate that). The crust was a good combination of chewy and crispy. The crust was very good!

The bad: My cheddar cheese didn’t melt and was a little on the salty side. I undersalted everything else to account for this, which worked out okay. The whole pizza was a bit dry. More sauce? (Maybe.) More stuff? (Definitely!) I should have opened a can of olives, at least.

It was a good start. I’ll keep working on it. I have another crust in the freezer to try again next week.

What are your favorite pizza toppings? What’s your favorite way to make pizza? Got any horror stories?

This post is part of Fight Back Friday! at FoodRenegade.

Comments

My favorite topping is sliced fresh figs with chunks of goat cheese and fresh basil. I make pesto sauce variation of tomato with it sometimes. It’s sooo good, I can’t even describe.
    I am also trying to recreate a Margherita style pizza we’ve had and loved…
    .-= Faith´s last blog post… A Tribute to Summer =-.

Hi Wardee,
    I am so excited I found you again. After Hurricane Ike hit us I lost so much of my computer data. I have following Sally Fallon Morell for a long time. I love the quarterly newsletter I get from there. I don’t use the whole grains because Dave is on a low fiber diet. He had 1/2 of colon removed this year. I do use organic foods and cook from scratch. His diet is so limited. I soak some of my recipes. I am off to get caught up with you.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth
    .-= Elizabeth Quigley´s last blog post… Are You Hungry? =-.

Marg – I do usually pre-bake the crust, that’s how I’ve always done it. But I’ve not made pizza that often. I haven’t made the mozzarella yet. :(

Wardee,

We had a terrible first attempt at “healthy” pizza last night. I bought all the ingredients at a health food store. Mistake #1! I am not ready to start making my own stuff yet and felt like it was my only option. We bought a packaged crust (mix). Healthy? Yes. Tasty? NO!!! I used a jar of “organic” (label) tomato sauce. It was chunky and tasteless! I used two different kinds of almond cheese. Big mistake! Our whole family choked it down and followed with some semi-healthy “organic” poptarts. LOL!

I think we’ll save our next pizza attempt for the REAL homemade stuff as soon as I get into the swing of things. I will definitely be trying out YOUR recipe soon. BTW…what would you have used for cheese instead of the cheddar that you had?

Tammy – Oh, I’m sorry! What is the almond cheese? If I had no goat cheddar or goat queso fresco, I’d probably get the best cheese I could from Trader Joe’s. They have so many cheeses; it would be fun to try one and the chances are better that it would be real cheese there. With the tomato sauce, maybe it would be better if you seasoned it up with sauteed garlic and onion and lots of pizza herbs. You will get there with your own dough – and a basic dough can make your bread, pizza crusts, cinnamon rolls, everything! Anyway, I am sorry, but stick with it, okay? :)

Wardee,

Thanks. I wondered why I didn’t recognize either name you gave me. I checked. Closest Trader Joe’s is in MN! Closest Whole Foods Market, Omaha (about 2 1/2 hour drive). I’m looking into co-ops. Looks like my best bet is to keep praying to have a farm of my own. :) (We are seriously looking into it!) In the meantime, I’ll make due with what I can find. My collection of helpful information is continuously growing. Your website is at the top of my list! :) Ha! By the time I get my farm, I’ll be an old pro at all of this! lol!

5. Susanna says

Hi Wardee,
    I was just wondering if you’ve landed on a sourdough pizza crust that you’re happy with? Sorry if I already missed a post on it.
    Susanna

Hey, Susanna! Erin is working on one. :) As for me, I am waiting to try hers. :) What I usually do in the meantime is use my normal sourdough bread recipe.

6. Susanna says

I’m ALL for letting someone else do the experimenting, so I’ll just wait to see what Erin comes up with. Thanks for letting me know!

7. Erin says

This is very funny! Guess I better get that pic of our recent pizza off my camera, type up a little something, and do a post for sourdough pizza! :-) Thanks for the prod!