Creamy Salad Dressing

creamy-dressing

We’re on a quest to find the perfect homemade creamy salad dressing. We’ve enjoyed almost every trial version. I’m not sure I’m done with the recipe, but this will show you where I am so far. And, you know what, I’d love to have your suggestions on how to improve this and make it more tasty!

The base of this recipe is either: chevre, yogurt cheese, kefir cheese, or sour cream (or “sour cream” made from chevre). Those all have different consistencies – the key is to add raw milk to whichever one you’re using to get it to the consistency you prefer. The recipe below reflects a thinner consistency, which is what we like because: 1) it lasts longer and 2) it is easier to pour.

The yogurt cheese or kefir cheese will make the dressing more tart, so you might want to decrease the apple cider vinegar and/or add a bit of raw honey. The chevre and sour cream make our favorite dressings, though we like the yogurt or kefir based dressings very much, too.

What I like about this recipe is that it is very versatile. And it goes with saying (though I’m going to say it) that herbs and spices differ greatly in quality and flavor. I am always very happy with the dried herbs and spices I get from Azure Standard; the brand is usually Oregon’s Wild Harvest. These herbs/spices far surpass the grocery store herbs. Other options for you would include a health food store with good turnover or Mountain Rose Herbs.

Lindsey recommended adding chives to a creamy, ranch-style dressing. I have yet to get some chives. They are on my list for my next Azure order. I placed an order yesterday but forgot to add the chives and now it is too late. :(

On to the recipe…

• 1 cup chevre, yogurt cheese or kefir cheese PLUS 1 cup raw milk –OR– 1-1/2 to 2 cups sour cream
  • additional raw milk, for consistency (I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons herbed seasoning salt, herbamare, or 1 teaspoon sea salt (plus more to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon organic dried dill
  • 1 tablespoon organic dried parsley
  • a pinch of black pepper
  • additional ingredients – garlic, more herbs, etc.

Whisk all ingredients together – in food processor, blender, or with a whisk by hand. Store in an air-tight jar in the refrigerator. Makes 2 to 3 cups, depending.

Please share your favorite salad dressing recipes in the comments. I’d also love to hear your suggestions for how you’d make this dressing better.

This post is part of Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet, Fight Back Friday! at FoodRenegade, and A Gathering of Homemade Dressings at Kitchen Stewardship. Making your own salad dressing is not only better for you (have you read any labels lately?) but you’ll save money.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

I like to whisk together balsamic vinegar, really good olive oil, a bit of old fashioned mustard, honey and some salt. simple, delicious & works best to wilt hearty leafy greens like swiss chard & kale for a very satisfying salad.
    .-= LeeLee´s last blog post… Livestock News =-.

2. Vanessa says

This is great, Wardee. We just started buying raw milk products and they really make a difference. I added about 3-5 cloves of raw garlic which really enhanced the the dressing.

I like the combination of sour cream and plain yogurt in my creamy dressing. Along with dill, parsley, sea salt, black pepper, a little garlic and onion. I often use dehydrated garlic and onion. And then a little raw milk to thin it out.
    This is a new dressing I made recently. It is a little sweet, which I like sometimes.
    Asian Salad Dressing

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
    2 tbsp Tamari sauce
    ¼ tsp fresh ginger, minced
    1 small clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp raw honey
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
    Sea salt to taste

Mix the vinegar, Tamari sauce and the honey together until the honey dissolves. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour over 4 cups fresh baby spinach, mix and serve.

This isn’t a creamy dressing, but it our favorite homemade dressing so far:

Honey Mustard Vinegrette

1/2 Cup raw apple cider vinegar
    1/3 Cup olive oil
    1/4 Cup flaxseed oil
    2 t stone ground mustard (or your favorite mustard)
    1 T raw honey
    1/2 t salt (or herbamare, have done it both ways)
    1/2 t dried parsley or 1 t fresh parsley
    1/2-1 t dill (this is optional. I love dill, so I use it sometimes)

You can really use whatever herb combination you like. I’ve experimented with all kinds of combos, but this is my favorite.
    .-= Kendra´s last blog post… The Perfect Start =-.

5. Nanci says

Our last batch of bacon-fat mayo (Darcey’s recipe) ended up with way too much lemon in it. It makes a super salad dressing though!

6. Jami says

Well Wardee you already know about our favorite salad dressing *grin*

It uses mayonnaise, because I didn’t have access to any good milk or milk products until just recently…. So I’m excited to try some of my RAW milk products in place of the mayo!

I call it Green Garden Dressing (should have a slight green color)

2 cups organic mayo (or your better raw milk product)

1 cup organic balsamic or red wine vinegar
    * IF NOT using mayo, add 2 teaspoons sea salt or tamari

1/8 of a cup green stevia

2 Tablespoons Spike or other non-salt spice mix

Ummy additions: fresh herbs, garlic, chives and mild chili peppers from your garden!

Put all the ingredients into a quart jar.
    Using a hand blender (wand) blend until smooth.
    Stir before serving, if to thick add a bit of water, stir again.
    Store in the refrigerator.

I’m getting hungry now…. We also use this dressing on corn tortillas melted with cheese, and as a base for dips.

Blessings

The best part of this is definitely its versatility! You teach people how to make their own and make it their own at the same time – Thank you so much for linking up!

:) Katie

I really love this salad dressing! I did not have all the particular spices or the nutritional yeast, so I had to come up with my own variation on that, but the base ingredients were exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t make quite enough yogurt cheese, so I had to use also some sour cream in addition to the raw milk. I wasn’t sure what I would think about the apple cider vinegar gave it just the *tang* that I literally crave.

Thanks! Now I’m excited to try some of your other recipes. :)

9. Connie Fletcher says

Thanks for all the recipes. My favorite creamy “Ranch” dressing so far is to take 1 cup of kefir cheese. 1 cup homemade mayo, salt, pepper, dried dill, dried onion powder, dried garlic powder and mix it together. Makes a yummy healthy ranch type, even process in a seeded cuke…………

Wardee,

Is it okay to add fresh herbs to this dressing? I have some chives and other herbs in my garden and would love to put them to use this way. :) Just wondering if there is a reason they might need to be dried.

Thanks!

Maureen

11. Katie G. says

Thank you for the inspiration on how to make your own creamy dressing! This is just the sort of “recipe” I love to use. I use mainly dill, parsley, chives, and garlic to flavor it, and one or two other herbs in smaller amounts. The first time I made it everyone said it tasted like blue cheese dressing. Hopefully the batch I just set in the fridge will be equally well received.

My “usual” dressing is a mix of herbs, which change every time, in 2/3 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup vinegar (usually 1/4c ACV and 1/4 another flavorful one). Sometimes mustard. If I’m afraid my family won’t like it I add about a tablespoon or less of honey or maple syrup, and everyone always loves it. I’m not always good at tossing stuff in something and it turning out delicious (though I still try…), so I’m very proud of my dressings.

12. Elizabeth from the Berkshires says

Hi Wardeh,
    I was wondering–is there a reason to make kefir cheese then add milk in? Would it work to just use kefir? Is it purely for flavor? It seems like removing liquid then putting it back in.
    Enjoying your blog, your podcast, and your online classes. Thanks for all the resources and knowledge you are sharing!
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth — Adding a bit of milk to the kefir cheese sweetens it up. Kefir is pretty tart. Plus it makes it a dressing consistency. You could start with kefir (not kefir cheese) for sure, but the dressing would be more tart.

1. [...] recipes I follow), and it is delicious! We spread it on toast, or use it as the dairy base for a delicious creamy dressing. This is a 48-hour cheese and it pretty much makes itself. 24 hours for culturing, and 24 hours for [...]

2. [...] salad. The salad contains green lettuce, sprouted lentils, sprouted mung beans, feta cheese, and my creamy salad dressing made from chevre. Oh, I also made a batch of sauerkraut this week, and we’re putting it on [...]