Homemade Herb Seasoning Salt (Similar to Herbamare)

HERB-SEASONING-SALT

I revisited my old Herb Seasoning Salt recipe, to make it even better. I realized the other day that I haven’t made any in awhile. This morning, I made a batch to re-stock the cupboard, but it is even better now – both in taste and its nutritional benefits!

It now includes nutritional yeast for chromium and B vitamins (though whether or not it provides B12 is definitely controversial, so I personally wouldn’t count on it!).

I also added kelp (commonly called seaweed) to the seasoning salt. This provides a whole host of vitamins and minerals, including essential minerals. You can find kelp in the bulk section of the health food store or at Mountain Rose Herbs (type “kelp” into the search box). Mountain Rose Herbs works directly with harvesters on the Pacific Coast who gather the seaweed by hand and who sustainably harvest this ocean resource. I have been using kelp for some time. I originally bought some to add it to the soaking water for my sprouts. We feed it to our animals, free choice, as their whole food vitamin and mineral source. It makes sense for us to eat it, too. So I’m really excited to find a great and tasty way to work it regularly into our diet.

This seasoning salt is loosely modeled after the commercially available organic herb seasoning salt called Herbamare, which we have used in the past and enjoyed. In fact, I started making my own seasoning salt to save money because we really liked the Herbamare!

The herb amounts in the recipe are loose. If you have other herbs you’d like to add, go for it! This would be good with practically any combination of herbs from your pantry. I encourage you to stock good quality herbs, choosing organic whenever possible. There’s really no substitute for the flavor of fresh, local, naturally grown herbs! The herbs at the grocery store simply have no punch. They’re so bland! Mountain Rose Herbs are high-quality. Your health food store, as long as the bins’ contents are frequently turned over, will usually have nice organic herbs available. And I often order herbs through Azure Standard, and many of their choices come from Oregon Spice Company. And the best – grow and dry your own! I long to do this myself someday.

So, let’s get to the recipe. Put all these ingredients in your blender container or food processor:

• 1 cup sea salt – the less refined, the better
  • 1 teaspoon each of oregano, thyme, basil, dill, dried garlic, chives, sage, celery seed, and marjoram
  • 2 teaspoons dried onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground rosemary
  • 1/2 cup dried parsley
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons dried, ground kelp (see how much you like)
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (non-GMO strain of yeast, fed on molasses, and processed at low temperatures without chemicals)

Blend to chop up the herbs and incorporate all the ingredients. Store in a glass jar or a salt shaker in a cool, dry place.

This makes a great gift! Put some mix in inexpensive shakers and add to gift baskets.

This post is part of Fight Back Fridays! at FoodRenegade.

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

Helen – currently I use the Red Star brand which is available here: http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=NS005 I also have one other source, but I’m not sure of the brand, only that the growing conditions are good. I have also heard of people being very happy with Lewis Lab’s nutritional yeast. I have not shopped for this brand yet, but may look into when my current supply runs out.

Oooo, I just tried Herbamare for the first time last week. It is so good.

Hmmm. I don’t have kelp or natural yeast. I’ll have to look for those. :)
    .-= Michelle´s last blog post… Camping Out =-.

2. michelle says

Hi Wardee, I see that you asked Alyss if she has a recipe for her chili seasoned salt. I have a wonderful one I picked up along the way, do you still want a recipe?

3. Dani says

Couldn’t resist a comment: the pictures of the shakers look vaguely like pepper. I think I might try adding some kelp to the pepper in our house–it gets used way more than salt anyway. And, they’ll NEVER KNOW, those picky eaters of mine!!!

4. Nicole Conzo says

I wanted to mention an east coast supplier of kelp and other dried seaweeds- I met her at the North east Organic Farm Associations (NOFA) annual winter conference and bought some fantastic seaweed! Her name is Kacie Loparto the business is She Sells Seaweed web site http://www.shesellsseaweed.com She hand harvests sea vegetables in Steuben, Maine!!!

5. Julie says

This seasoning recipe is one I will try. Thanks for this. I think I recall reading in Sally Fallon Morell’s book that the brand of Nutritional yeast to get is made by Frontier Herbs. It’s cheap on the web. But there are probably other brands that are of the same standard.

6. Val says

***1 teaspoon each of oregano, thyme, basil, dill, dried garlic, chives, sage, celery seed, and marjoram***

Are these dried/powdered…or something else?

Thanks,
    Val

7. Rachel says

Thanks so much for this and all of your great information!!

Does anyone know if Nori (sushi wrappers) have any nutritional benefits like kelp does (I just bought a huge pack of Nori so if it does somewhat the same as kelp, I’ll use what I have and keep it frugal!)

And is the measurement for 1/2 Cup parsley accurate? The rest of the herbs are in tsp so I just wanted to check that one before diving right in.

thanks again!

8. Erin says

I’ve made this twice and I *LOVE* it so much. Great for eggs, especially, but I use it almost anytime I would be seasoning anything savory with salt.

• Cherie says

Erin – maybe you can give me some pointers since you have made it twice. i have used herbamare for over 20 years and love it. it has gotten SO incredibly expensive to order with shipping it’s just ridiculous and Whole foods is also very pricey. So i attempted to make this and put all the ingredients in my Cuisinart processor but the herbs just didn’t grind up fine enough so i put it in the vita mix – big mistake. Yes, i had smelly-green powder – unusable. So i tried a second batch grinding just the herbs in my coffee grinder to get them fine. i didn’t even add the salt (i used 1/2c. sea salt from Costco and 1/2 c. himalayan salt) the second round was definitely better but no matter how much herb i seem to add the seasoning is just SOOOOOO SALTY i can hardly stand it. I thought that grinding the salt in the initial batch might have added to the saltiness of it because it was also very salty so i figured adding the herbs alone would help but i almost can’t eat it from the saltiness????? any ideas????? when i taste my Trocomare (i like that better even than the herbamare) it just doesn’t have the same strong level of saltiness. thank you Cherie

I am a devoute Herbamare user. But it is expensive and since we have moved, its less accessible. I have copied their ingrediants list (I knew this day was coming) with the intent to try to create my own…but I’ll try your version first. You might save me some time. :-) Thanks!

10. Brenda says

Hi, Does nutritional yeast get old or “go bad”. I’ve got some but it’s been awhile since I bought it. I don’t know much about nutritional yeast and would like more ideas about how to use it. I know that some people put it on popcorn, but we’re not big popcorn eaters.

Thanks for your blog I enjoy it!

11. Kirsten says

So, this makes me wonder… Has anyone tried adding in chlorella, spirilina, or wheat grass powder to this? I have a bunch I’d like to add. Just a pinch because it does has a strong “sea” flavor.

12. Patricia Wong says

Hi
    I am Patricia Wong, from Singapore. I have a Funding Raising Event-Variety Show, to raise funds for a Hospice. I want to set up a table to sell Herb salt on the same evening. I can’t afford spending too much money on cost of production.
    Can you suggest any very simple DIY herb salt which I can make?

I found out that the cheapest small bottle cost me S$2.00. Thus, I worry that if I sell the salt at a high price, I may have problem selling.
    Thanks and Best Regards

Patricia — I’d suggest eliminating whichever of these ingredients you find expensive. Use herbs that are plentiful and cheap and whizz to taste. Enjoy! I’d love to hear how they’re received.

THIS IS AWESOME!! I didn’t read all of the comments, so I am sorry if I am repeating this… but I tried a handful of this in about 4 cups of water boiling for rice, and it tastes like chicken broth!
    This is useful for so much. :)
    Thanks for sharing.

14. Sara N says

Just made this today–looks awesome! I ended up grinding up some nori sheets in my coffee grinder to use as ground kelp. I can’t wait to use this stuff!

15. Gloria Scheerma says

have recently been told that Nutritional Yeast is filled with pesticides and we should not be using it.

What a great recipe, Wardee. I linked it up in my Homemade Gifts-in-a-Jar guest post over at Keeper of the Home! Hope it brings some new friends your way! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! :) Kelly

1. [...] Foie Gras, Steak & More Foie Gras (CHEESESLAVE)31. Cafe Cyan (Grilled Zucchini Wraps)32. Wardee @ GNOWFGLINS (Homemade Herb Seasoning Salt – Get some kelp in your diet!)33. EnviroMental34. Benefits of buying a side of beef from your local farmer!35. Rebecca36. Melody [...]

2. [...] our goat milk. We use unrefined sea salt on a daily basis – most of the time in the form of a homemade seasoning salt that contains kelp. Don’t be scared; this is a great tasting seasoning salt. And the level of [...]

3. [...] Homemade Herb Seasoning – this was needed for the herbed yogurt cheese that is used to help add probiotics to the potato salad. Basically, you dump all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse a few times. It’s that easy and super tasty. [...]