I did get back to the corn tortilla dough I mentioned on Tuesday. I’m grateful because the tortillas turned out so awesome! Several things helped me roll them out.
- Flour the rolling surface with corn flour.
- Use a smaller amount of dough and roll each out to a smaller size; this increased manageability.
- Put a piece of plastic (I used one side of a gallon-size freezer bag) between the rolling pin and the dough.
- Use a spatula to gently scrape each tortilla off the cutting board.
For the lunch, I put a scoop of leftovers (brown basmati rice, pinto beans, and roast beef, warmed up in a separate pan) on each cooked tortilla. On top of that went goat cheddar cheese. The whole thing ended up being somewhat hand-sized. It wasn’t the most graceful thing to eat, but we kind of held the whole thing rolled up a bit in one hand while leaning over our plates with our mouths to gobble up the yummy meal. We sure didn’t care about being graceful when the lunch was so delicious!
I can’t tell you how much this meal costs, but I’m sure it was cheap. I purchased all the naturally-grown meal components in bulk – the rice, beans, grass-fed beef, and corn. This meal is also frugal with time, as I had the dough ready ahead of time. And the meal is frugal with our resources, as I used up leftovers instead of tossing them or letting them spoil.
Please share any ideas you have for quick, cheap and frugal lunches!
This post is part of Pennywise Platter Thursday – please visit and see other submissions for frugal real food ideas!
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
I want to help you look good, feel good, and do good...
... with 100s of videos and recipes, step-by-step tutorials, and easy-to-implement weekly menu plans.
It's the healthiest, tastiest, and most natural food you've ever imagined... the way God meant you to prepare it. As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 9 traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!