Kefir Smoothie: Frozen Summer Fruit Delish!

kefir-smoothie

Last night I came clean with my family and admitted to them that they’d already consumed three kefir smoothies without even knowing it!

Just so you know – I do not usually trick my family. But in this case, I wanted there to be absolutely no prejudices hindering their reactions. I’m okay with my treachery, because since then, everyone has told me that they really like kefir if it is part of a smoothie.

This recipe is going to be more like a formula, because not everyone has the same summer fruit in our freezers. So, see what you can make of it and be sure to come back and post what delicious smoothies you create with kefir!

My ingredients:

• 10 pitted, whole dates
  • about 4 cups of frozen summer fruit: Santa Rosa plums, wild blackberries, and strawberries
  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 3 to 4 cups of kefir
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla (optional)

In bottom of blender container or Vita-Mix wet container, place the 10 pitted dates, the frozen fruit and the coconut oil. Pour in the kefir and the vanilla. Blend until smooth!

Pour and serve. Just see if they can tell…

A friend emailed me recently and shared that my kefir post had reminded her of her growing up when she used to help some friend raise goats. She loved their kefir, enjoying it in the mornings with oats and in kefir popsicles. I plan to make some popsicles today out of this very same recipe. I lamented that I didn’t have any popsicle molds, but my friend mentioned that I could use ice cube trays with toothpicks inserted. We have some of the kids’ friends over today, and I will make mini-pops for their afternoon treat.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

I was amused by your “coming clean,” and your kids’ response. Oh well.

Thank you for the recipe! Where do you get your dates? I’ve never shopped for them before. And are you guys continuing to avoid as much sugary stuff as possible?

MIndy – I get the dates through Hummingbird Wholesale in Eugene. In the past, I have purchased them through Azure. And before that, in the bins at a health food store (with good turnover). They usually come with pits (save money that way) so I manually pit them as I use them. Most of the time, I get Halawi dates because they’re the least expensive. Sometimes honey dates. We are still doing no concentrated sweeteners. I sweeten with dates a bit and we eat fruit. I sweeten our porridge with some stevia. That’s it. The kids are wanted honey back, though. B. really wants honey in her tea. So do I. *sigh* I don’t know what we’ll do to achieve balance.

I think I didn’t write that very well if you thought my kids didn’t like the smoothie. ;) They didn’t like the kefir that well UNTIL they had it in a smoothie. I better go edit my post!

Hi! You have a lovely blog here.
    I experimented with kefir a year or two ago and then lost the grains when we went on vacation. I liked using it in smoothies too. I also liked to drink it flavored with rock salt, black pepper and cumin powder. That’s how they drink buttermilk in India and kefir tastes pretty similar to it.

3. Jami says

:-D Tricking the family how funny….. the smoothie sounds great. I miss my kefir and raw milk – Oy!

I just invented something delicious along these lines and wanted to let you know about it.

I blend up some berries (what ever I have) and mix into Kombucha! Yum Yum. I do not use any sweeter because there is sugar in the K-tea already.

Love,

Jami

4. Jenni says

I just tried this with peaches! YUM!!! I’m very new to kefir–just got my grains from a friend last week. And I’m waiting on my water kefir grains to arrive. Planning on soaking some WW for banana bread next…

Thanks for all the wisdom you share!

5. Jeannette says

Our smoothies are: 2 bananas, approx. 1/3 cup nut butter, 1/3 cup coconut oil, 3-4 pastured eggs and 1T vanilla. I blend that first until smooth and then add milk kefir and or yogurt to fill blender. Yummy and very filling. No one’s hungry before lunch.