Link Appeal – May 19, 2009

How many factory farms are in your state and/or county? I looked up Douglas County in Oregon, where we live. There are NO factory farms here. Unbelievable! That’s our claim to fame. I think we should put it up on billboards! Check out your area; I hope you fare just as well.

honey

Meet our second milking doe, Honey. This post is on my personal blog, Such Treasures. I also share lessons I’ve learned from having milked two does on this dairy goat adventure (for what it’s worth). Having two is really a good assessment tool! Honey gave us almost 4 cups of milk this morning and it is delicious. Our first doe, Belle, gave us 1-3/4 cups – her yield increases slightly each day, which is encouraging.

How to Sneak Liver Onto Your Family’s Dinner Table. I’m going to try one of these suggestions, maybe today in our chili! Make sure your livers are from naturally raised animals – this is very important, as the liver collects toxins otherwise. If the animal is healthfully raised in its natural environment, that is the only type of liver you want to consume.

Mind the Microwave in May. Your invitation to join a great challenge, sponsored by Katie of Kitchen Stewardship (who also wrote those sneaky liver tips) to reduce microwave usage during the month of May. She’s also put up 10 tips for avoiding the microwave and how to reheat leftovers withOUT the microwave. (Here are my tips for how to reheat foods without the microwave.)

Enjoy the reading!

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

Great post. I haven’t had a microwave in my home for over 5 years now. We don’t miss it one bit, and even my children think food tastes better without using a microwave. Give it a try, it really isn’t that much of a time saver. You can use a toaster oven to re-heat foods quite easily or stove top and it only takes a few extra minutes over a microwave.

Wardee,
    Thanks so much for participating in Mind the Microwave in May! I hope (I think) it’s getting a lot of people thinking, which is always my goal.
    Katie

Mary – you’re awesome! How do you cook your liver? Someone on twitter told me to be careful of not overcooking it. I chopped liver up last night and browned it with ground beef and then turned that into chili by adding beans, liquid and spices. It was yummy – we couldn’t even find the liver. I normally don’t hide foods – I told everyone it was in there. Since it didn’t change the dish at all, we didn’t know we were eating it.

I’ve been trying my best to avoid the microwave! I’ve been buying pre-made soups from Trader Joe’s but I heat them up in a big pot on the stove (I made lunch for three) instead of heating them up individually in the microwave.

4. Wrenna Finche says

The easiest way to avoid the microwave is to simply not own one!
    Our family of four has never owned a microwave and never missed it.
    To reheat food, we use baking dishes in the oven or cast iron on the stovetop. To reheat drinks or soups a stainless steel pot works well.
    We also have these cute little colorful enameled pots with long handles for reheating a small amount of coffee or tea.
    I don’t know if it’s true, but I had read somewhere that the microwave actually changes the molecular structure of some protein chains to a toxic configuration.
    Who needs that?

Wrenna – good point! If it’s not there, you can’t use it! We did own one when first married, but it went bye-bye several years ago and we can hardly remember that time now. Those little enamel pots sound cute!