A Weekend Full of Simple, Nourishing Meals: Baked Burritos, Rice Bowls, and Egg Burritos

naomi-burrito

When I think of simple and nourishing, I have in mind foods that I can whip together quickly for my hard-working family. During the warmer months of the year, we devote our weekends to property work. Everyone is outside the whole weekend, clearing brush, picking up sticks, and trying to get our property ready to produce food. (This is taking us longer than we expected.)

They’re all tired, hungry and eager for something simple and satisfying. I’m often tired, too. Although, I’m usually in the house suffering from seasonal allergies -Oregon is the grass seed capital of the world, you know – and I’m working on projects. This is my own kind of hard work that makes me appreciate simple weekend meals.

So here’s what I do. For this sample menu, I have in mind baked burritos and other variations involving the same meal components. You can apply this to any meal that lends itself to having flexible meal components. (See my style of Flexible Meal Planning for more detail.)

sprouted spelt tortillas

I cook up a bunch of food on Friday, all meal components. This could involve shredded free-range, local chickens in the crockpot, grass-fed ground beef, a pot of brown basmati or jasmine rice, a pot of pinto beans or black beans, and a double batch of sprouted spelt tortillas. I usually stick to very basic seasonings on the meat and beans – cumin, onion, garlic, sea salt and pepper. I always mash beans slightly to make them saucy. The rice I will refry in red palm oil and season it up similarly.

I’ll also prep any add-ons such as dicing onions, de-stemming and washing cilantro, slicing olives, or shredding raw goat cheddar.

I store all of these components (except the tortillas) in the fabulous glass storage dishes from Anchor Hocking. (I know, I sound like a broken record, but they’re awesome… they’re not plastic and they will last a lifetime.)

Then throughout the weekend, the meals are simply a matter of combining the components. Here are the ways I make baked burritos, immediate burritos, egg burritos, rice bowls and a simple salad to go along with the lunches and dinners.

baked-burrito

For baked burritos:

• Slightly warm the tortillas over medium heat in a cast-iron skillet, one by one.
  • Fill each tortilla with beans, rice, and/or prepared meat.
  • Top with cheese and other garnishes.
  • Roll up and place in 9 x 13 baking pan with the roll side down (so they don’t unroll) and being careful not to spill contents. Repeat until pan is full.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
  • To beat the heat, bake this outside in a portable roaster oven!

For immediate burritos:

• Warm all meal components on the stove-top.  Assemble, adding garnishes, and serve!

egg-burrito

For egg burritos/quesadillas:

• Fry or scramble your free-range, local eggs as desired. (See how I fry eggs in red palm oil.)
  • Place tortilla in cast-iron skillet over medium heat and fill half with eggs, cheese, diced onions, and/or other fillings you desire.
  • When tortilla is soft enough, fold the unfilled half over the filled half. Turn over to heat the tortilla and melt the cheese.
  • Serve and enjoy!
  • As a side note – the eggs pictured are local duck eggs, our first time enjoying them!

For rice bowls:

• Warm rice, beans, and meat.
  • Fill bowls with warmed meal components.
  • Add toppings  as desired – onions, olives, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, etc.

The only other thing I do for each lunch and dinner is prepare a fresh salad. You can whip up a simple salad in no time, especially if you’ve already done the work of washing and storing all your week’s veggies. A simple dressing of fresh lemon juice/raw apple cider vinegar/good balsamic vinegar, along with extra virgin olive oil, and salt, pepper, garlic, and dill is all that’s needed for a fresh salad to go along with that quickly assembled meal.

So, with a little prep on Friday, the meals are done for Friday night through Sunday evening. We don’t mind having the same meal twice or even three meals in a row, because real foods taste good every time!

I’d love to hear from you what you do for meals on busy weekends – or not so busy weekends! During the summer,  we don’t need to be busy to be too hot and too tired to cook. What kind of meal planning do you do to make things simple and nourishing at the same time?

This post is my contribution to the Simple and Nourishing Carnival.

Comments

I just got some spelt berries and I’m gonna try those tortillas- I love the flavor of spelt- I’ve made muffins and biscuits so far…it’s really good stuff! Our weekends are busy trying to tame nature too! do you perfer the red palm over the white? I have noticed that the white can feel a bit heavy in my tummy…

Hi, vehement flame! I love the spelt, too. I guess I already said that. :D

I’ve never eaten the white kind of palm oil, so I can’t compare them. I can’t say I’ve noticed any heaviness from eating the red. Sometimes I do when I use it for popcorn, but I moreso associate that with the corn than the oil. The red palm oil is delicious for refrying foods – not only pretty from the yellow coloring but a little tangy, too. We like it alot! I hope you can try it to see for yourself whether it will work for you.

Wardee, have you tried consuming raw local honey to help with your allergies? It totally cured mine (and I also am allergic to any honey that isn’t raw or local).

Kyrie – yes, I’ve tried that. It doesn’t work for me. Recently, I read an explanation why. I am allergic mostly to the grasses, which the bees don’t pollinate. So their honey doesn’t work for that type of allergy. If I were allergic to the wildflowers or fruit blossoms, etc. the honey might work. I’m really happy yours are cured! I hope this year will be better; we have animals eating all the grasses right around the house. I hope it will make a difference in the pollen concentration.

3. Amanda says

This is brilliant. Just the type of practical suggestion I need for the weekend. Thank you for sharing, Wardee =) And, I’m greatly enjoying the E-Course!

4. Dani says

Okay, I have to laugh at your excitement over glass storage dishes. We are constantly trying to find things that aren’t new–there will be less packaging, etc (especially if it is mail-ordered), and we can usually find things for less.

Our favorite place: those indoor “antique mall” flea markets! We just bought a bunch of glass storage dishes this past weekend! Many of them are Corningware or Pyrex; FireKing is another favorite. Gotta watch though: sometimes they’ll be chipped. We got each for less than is listed on your link, but the main part of the container is not clear–as in, you’ll have to lift the lid to see what those leftovers are. I LOVE the square ones because they stack better–both in the fridge, and in the cupboard when not in use.

BTW, one of my favorite skillet dishes is 1 lb pasta (elbows or ziti is best), 1 lb browned ground beef, 1 jar spaghetti sauce and one spaghetti-sauce-jar of water. I usually jazz it up a bit with some more basil, parsley, a little garlic. Cook it all in a pot, and you’ve got a truly one-pot meal.

Oh, and I have found my family’s favorite way to eat the rice from our lesson–I toss & melt some coconut oil/butter/beef tallow (or whatever favorite fat is laying around) in a good-sized pan, saute some onions/carrots/celery (or shallots/add garlic… whatever sounds good!), and then toss in some rice. Add about 1/4 cup water and put the lid on, and toss together. The rice can sometimes get a nice “fried crunch” on the bottom if I don’t keep tossing it–it’s all a matter of what will go well with whatever else I’m serving with it (and if I’m doing 10 other things while fixing dinner!). As in, some of that tender crock-pot chicken with a little soy sauce… I’m also fond of seasoning the rice with your now-infamous seasoned/herbed salt and some nutritional yeast–chopped fresh tomatoes add a different taste. To stretch, I’ll also toss in some frozen or fresh veggies when I add the water (the water helps steam-heat everything). YUM!

5. peg says

Thanks Wardee! I have developed allergies as well and did not know the reasoning behind the daily honey cure. You did the research for me. I love your site and blog….keep up the good work.