Basic Sprouted Spelt Biscuits – Divine!

spelt-biscuits

These are awesome biscuits — crisp on the outside, but on the inside flaky, soft, and melt-in-your mouth good. B. took her first bite and then said, “Mom, this just crumbles all over my mouth.” (That was how she described the melting.) I can imagine this dough being the basis for cookies, scones, and other pastries.

These divine biscuits were inspired by Kimi at The Nourishing Gourmet. She starts with whole wheat pastry flour and soaks the dough (sans baking soda, baking powder and salt) overnight.

Since I love spelt so much and since we’ve been successfully sprouting it for gluten-sensitive members of the family, I use sprouted spelt in them. This means the soaking time can be skipped entirely, as the sprouting does the soaking’s job.

If you don’t have sprouted spelt flour, use whole wheat pastry flour (but use 2-1/2 cups) or unsprouted spelt flour. For soaking instructions, visit the original recipe at The Nourishing Gourmet.

• 2-1/4 cups sprouted spelt flour (cannot be warm from grinding or will melt the coconut oil)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 6 tablespoons unrefined, virgin coconut oil, chilled if liquefied at room temp (like during the summer)
  • 3/4 cup raw milk, coconut milk, or nut milk (or even water)
  • 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)

Preheat the oven to 45o degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Add the coconut oil, then cut it into the flour using a pastry cutter or a fork, until the pieces of oil are the size of peas or smaller. Add the milk (or water) and vinegar. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon to barely combine the ingredients. Don’t overmix!

Transfer the dough to a clean, floured surface and roll into a rectangle about 1/2″ thick. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into 2″ squares.

Transfer squares to an oiled cookie sheet, leaving space between. Put sheet in oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to drying rack. Eat! (Try to save some for later, if you can. ;) )

Variation: Sprouted Spelt Scones

This post is part of the Un-Processed Food Carnival at Kitchen Stewardship.

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

1. kate norland says

I’m excited to try this recipe. My family loves biscuits and it had just occurred to me a couple of days ago that I might be able to substitute coconut oil. Coconut oil is a great discovery that I’ve gotten from you. I use it to replace the oil in my whole grain breakfast cookies. Thanks!

Kelli, pretty much, although sometimes I use a little less of the gf flour. But it depends on the flour. Some of them absorb more water, for instance buckwheat and rice do that, while corn does not. The other thing is, what type of recipe is it? if it is a gluten-dependent recipe (such as yeast bread) then it probably won’t work without other adjustments to compensate for the big job the gluten does. I don’t mean to discourage you. Perhaps you could give me more information?

2. Kelli says

I wanted to try the soaked pizza recipe from nourishinggourmet.com, and was thinking about going wheat and dairy free for 30 days or so to see if it helps me not be so tired. I was thinking about trying a amaranth, brown rice, teff blend, if Azure carries those. What do you think?

I was interested in the soaked recipes intead of the sprouted grain recipes because I don’t have a grain mill or a vita-mix as of yet.

Hi, Kelli!

Okay, I don’t want to bounce all over the place, but here’s what I think, from what you told me so far.

So as not to confuse what is making you tired, I would first start with soaking – no matter the grain. Then if you feel better, you’ll know what did it. If you do the soaking on gluten-free flours, you might not really know what the difference is, see? It could be the gluten-free, the soaking, or both? If you don’t have kefir or whey, use lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar.

If you don’t feel better, then go with soaking the wheat-free flours. These are kamut, spelt, and/or rye, which still contain gluten. This will help you test whether it is wheat causing the fatigue.

If you don’t feel better, then go with soaking the gluten-free flours, such as corn, millet, amaranth, teff, etc.

This is what I would do in order to isolate what the problem is. But obviously, you should make your own decisions! ;)

Now to answer your questions: The amaranth, rice and teff are not only wheat-free but they’re gluten-free. What made you choose those? I’ve found that the best gluten-free flour blends include more, rather than less, flours. I’d suggest you add buckwheat and millet, too.

Bummer that I just got back from town. I could have brought you Sue Gregg’s whole grain baking cookbook. With her recipes, you can do the soaking with whole grains and use a blender to create the dough. Check out http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbatterwaffles/blenderbatterwaffles.htm, but the thing is you can use any grains – kamut, corn, rice, millet, whatever, just experiment. Do you have a pretty good blender? Just as long as it is not a cheapo. Especially if you try to do corn. :D I can loan you the book next week. I’ll bring it on Wed to the church. It would work with testing just soaking grains. You’d use the whole grain or the flour, doesn’t matter. Her recipes cover both.

3. Kelli says

Wardee,
    I picked the flour blend out a The Bee Well Cookbook that I just got from Amazon. I haven’t cooked anything out of it yet, but they have some soaked recipes in there. We could trade books for a week or two if you want. I have thought of trying some of Sue Gregg’s books, but she has so many I don’t know how to choose! I am easily distracted!

I have an Oster blender that I think I have had for about 14 years! I made a smoothie in it yesterday and I could smell the motor getting hot. So if it can’t handle the blender soaking recipes, I might break down and get a new one. I just can’t get a Vita-Mix yet. Unless God puts a really good deal on E-bay for me.

I probably will follow your advice on isolating the problem. It would be so much easier just buying wheat flour.

You are a wealth of information, thank you!

Katie – I haven’t. :( But I am about to, because I’m sending the dry ingredients with my daughter on a trip to CA and I intend for her to use water as the liquid since she won’t have access to our goat milk or coconut milk there. I can try it tomorrow and let you know!

4. Jamie says

I made these for our lunch today, using 2 1/2 cups unsprouted spelt flour, water, and lemon juice, and they were AWESOME! My kids announced that they are going to call them “Mommy’s Best Biscuits EVER”, so that when they request biscuits I won’t confuse these with “those biscuits Mommy USED to make”. :) Thank you, Wardee!

Jamie – That’s fabulous! Thanks for telling me how much you enjoyed them. I love hearing it! I’m sending the ketchup recipe via email now.

5. Sara C. says

Wardee,

I’m looking forward to making these biscuits. They look great! I have a lot of left over liquid whey from making 30 minute mozzerella over the weekend. Do you think that whey would work as the liquid (instead of milk) for these biscuits?

Thanks,
    Sara

6. Sara C. says

Wardee,

I just made a batch of these biscuits with whey instead of milk, and they turned out great. Very yummy! I might try buttermilk next time…go crazy! Thanks for the great recipe.

-Sara

Sara – That’s so wonderful to hear! I’m glad it worked for you. I love this recipe because it is very versatile – we’ve done just water and they are still really good.

Thanks for linking into the Un-processed foods carnival! I think I like these biscuits even better made with water than a dairy product, which surprised me.
    Katie

PS – next week’s theme is healthy fats, if you have any coconut oil recipes you’d like to share!
    .-= Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship´s last blog post… Monday Mission: Read up on Canola Oil =-.

8. Allison says

I made these today and they were very good, a little coconutty for me. Can lard or tallow be used intsead of coconut oil? I also think that I could have added more salt. My oven doesn’t get hot enough and I cooked them for an extra few minutes to get them browner. The recipe makes more biscuits than I expected. They were as light as a feather! They crumbled in my mouth.

Allison – Yes, you made use lard or tallow, or butter. If the butter is salted, reduce the amount of salt in the recipe. Glad you liked them!

9. Allison says

I changed my mind about the coconut! I made these several days ago and they were too coconutty to eat with eggs. I wanted to taste the “sop”. They got moist in the container so I decided to make apple shortcake with them. I spooned fermented apples, melted butter, raw honey and kefir on top and sprinkled them with cinnamon. For this recipe the coconut oil was complementary. This will be a regular guest at my house! I’ll halve the recipe and use lard when I want to eat them with eggs or topped with stew. Thanks for the recipe!

10. Allison says

I had another creative moment with these biscuits. Because there is only one of me and there were so many biscuits and because I didn’t want to waste any, I came up with this: I made stuffing with them. I added an egg, veggies from my bone broth and some of the reduced broth to crumbled biscuits. I baked it and served it with the meat from the bones. It is now a new favorite thing! I used pastured beef but chicken would be good too. I may never consider making another type of bread. These are so versatile. I love them!

That’s great, Allison! Did you just cube them as is, or toast them for the stuffing? I agree, they are versatile. It is great to have sprouted flour around because you literally can have good bread to eat in 15 minutes.

11. Allison says

I crumbled up four biscuits, added a slotted spoonful of onion, carrots, celery and green beans that were cooked in a crockpot with bone broth. I put a couple of ladles of broth in a skillet and heated it to a gravy consistancy and added an egg and the gravy to the mixture. I stirred it well , put it in a small pie pan and baked it until it was brown on top. It was still moist inside and a little dry on the outside like Thanksgiving dressing. I poured more gravy over it with the meat from some oxtail bones. I had a few green beans in the crockpot (that I use non-stop) and those added color to my plate. It was very good, so good that I’m reliving the moment as I type this!

I’m making coconut macaroons tomorrow! I’m concerned that I’m veering too far from GAPS. I needed something solid for awhile. I won’t make more of the biscuits very soon and I had to make the most of them while I have them.

12. Alyssa says

These biscuits are amazing! I made them unsoaked because I didn’t have time for soaking. We ate the camping with homemade sausage gravy and they were a huge hit. I am so happy that they keep for a few days too. I am eating one now with a little honey and it tastes as fresh as it did 3 days ago.

13. Carrie says

Uh oh, I just started soaking a batch of these biscuits, and happened upon your recipe and noticed that you said not to mix in freshly ground (warm) flour with the coconut oil… which I definitely just did! I made a double batch of them and am going to be bringing them to Thanksgiving tomorrow :) But do you think they’ll still work when I bake them later today? I’m hoping to or else that’s a big waste of flour and coconut oil I just mixed up!

14. Kelsey says

Okay, this is the EXACT recipe I was looking for. Sprouted spelt biscuits to make homemade “sausage biscuits” out of for breakfasts. Can I ask why the vinegar is necessary if it’s not being soaked? Thanks!!

• Kelsey says

Oh! That makes sense. I have no problem including the vinegar, I was just curious as I usually don’t see vinegar in these kinds of recipes without a soak period. I am making these today and am excited for them!!

• Kelsey says

P.S. Just made these and they are SO good! So moist and filling – mine didn’t fluff much, but that doesn’t bother me and actually my husband likes them that way. I used water for the liquid. So easy and quick and so delicious! I will be making these often!

15. Fran Clark says

Basic Sprouted Spelt Biscuits–made these & had them tonight. Ever soooo yummy!! Very tasty. Everyone loved them & wanted more. Thank you ever so much for posting & sharing your recipe. I will be sharing the recipe & a few biscuits with my nutritionist Dr. & his wife. God bless you. :)