Powdering/Powered Rapadura

Since I had an issue with evaporated cane juice not dissolving in my first attempt to make homemade chocolate chips, I took the advice of my friend Jami. She advised powdering it in a countertop appliance.

The Vita-Mix far and away produced the best powdered sweetener. After less than 30 seconds on HIGH in the dry container (while using the tamper throughout), the Vitamix produced powdered Rapadura. (I put 2 cups of Rapadura in the VM to ensure good circulation.)
On the other hand, the food processor achieved only partial powdering after about three minutes. Again, I put two cups in it to ensure good circulation.

The Rapadura, still not fully dissolved, leaves a slightly crispy texture in homemade chocolate chips. Yet, the homemade chocolate chips are pretty smooth. Delicious!
cut-up-scaled

Comments

Hi, all!

I don’t know how it happened, but somehow I closed the comments when I first made this post. I didn’t meant it, I promise! If you have anything to say, now you can-

2. Magda says

I wanted to mention that what you show as Rapadura really isn’t. It looks more like Sucanat. My Rapadura is much browner (like brown sugar) and it’s not crystallized. It’s more crumbly-looking.
    I have a Blendtec (a blender like the Vitamix) so I think I’m going to try making my own “powdered sugar” instead of buying it. It’s expensive! I really love this recipe – I’m definitely going to give it a whirl.

3. Kristi says

I LOVE chocolate, but am nursing a youngling who has many food alergies, one of them seems to be coconut oil or any type of nut, actually. Do you think I could use avacado oil instead, or is there anything else you might use? He also has a hard time with sunflower oil, soy oil, and safflower oil. I use mostly olive oil for everything, even some baking. Butter is no good, either.
    Side note, I have followed your site for over a year now and love it, who knew it would be so helpful with this new baby, thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom, Blessings-Kristi

Hi, Kristi! Are you wanting an oil to make the homemade chocolate chunks? If so, you must use another solid (at room temp) oil, IMO. So I would say use palm oil. Not red palm oil, but the white kind. I think it is the oil in those healthy shortening options at health food stores. I’ve seen it under the Spectrum label for shortening. Avocado oil would be liquid and wouldn’t work for these chunks. Thanks for writing, Kristi! I am so glad to hear from you and wish you must success with your little one and food allergies. I’ve been there (still am) and I know how tough it can be to be healthy and safe in our food choices!

MIndy, I’m sorry about that! Since posting this, I think that my evaporated cane juice (shown) is not true Rapadura. :( This is a little more refined. I have alot to use up, but in the future, I want to get some that is more raw and see how IT powders ups.

• Lisa Guinn says

Hi Wardee,
        What you show looks the same as what I have which is Rapadura. From the research that I have done I discovered that “Rapadura” is basically just a brand name. That it and sucanot are basically the same thing. I also have in the past bought Evaporated Cane Juice and it is usually more clear and a different texture. Just thought I would add my two cents. Thanks for ALL you do! I soooo appreciate you and your talents!
        Lisa