My friend Regina made over the traditional oatmeal no-bake cookie recipe to be more healthy. I called her the other day and begged for it — my kids were desperate for a snack and I was short on time. These cookies fit the bill, deliciously!
Regina makes her cookies with natural peanut butter and carob powder. I used almond butter and cocoa powder. Either way… yummy!
Regina’s Healthy Oatmeal No-Bake Cookies
In a large pot, combine:
- 3 cups Rapadura (reduce to lessen the sweetness – I have gotten this down to 2 cups and think I can still reduce more, they’re plenty sweet)
- 1 cup pure water
- 3/4 cup carob powder or 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unrefined coconut oil
Place pot on a burner over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes, whisking the entire time to prevent burning and to ensure the coconut oil melts and mixes in well. Remove from heat and add:
- 6 to 7 cups pre-soaked, dehydrated organic rolled oats (start with 10 cups, see * below; use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free cookies)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter or natural (soaked) almond butter (or purchase here)
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups raisins (optional)
*To reduce the phytic acid in oats, start by soaking and drying your oats a few days before making these cookies. Soak 10 cups of thick rolled oats overnight in water to cover (and then some) along with 1/2 cup of raw apple cider vinegar, sourdough starter, Kombucha, kefir, yogurt or other acidic and/or cultured liquid. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the oats (let the liquid drain out first) in thin layers on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 115 degrees Fahrenheit until dry and crisp. Then proceed with the recipe.
Mix well. Mixture should be thick but stirrable. It will harden as it cools. Drop by heaping spoonfuls on cookie sheets. This is a double batch and makes about 4 dozen+ huge cookies. They will cool quickly and can be eaten in just a few minutes. Enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy and be sure to let us know if you like these!
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!
I want to help you look good, feel good, and do good...
... with 100s of videos and recipes, step-by-step tutorials, and easy-to-implement weekly menu plans.
It's the healthiest, tastiest, and most natural food you've ever imagined... the way God meant you to prepare it. As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 9 traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!