A note about gluten-intolerance. My daughter, who is gluten-intolerant, can eat these safely. (That’s not to say all gluten-intolerant individuals would have similar results.) The gluten grains are sprouted and dehydrated prior to becoming flour. I also soak and dehydrate the rolled oats ahead of time.
- 1 cup unrefined, virgin coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal + 3/4 cup pure water OR 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-1/4 cups sprouted whole grain flour (such as wheat, kamut, spelt, or emmer)
- 1/2 cup acceptable chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raisins (or another 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes or soaked-n-ready oats
Cream together coconut oil and honey in mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flax seed meal and water thoroughly (if using). Let sit for five minutes to thicken. Add the flax seed/water mixture OR eggs to mixing bowl, along with vanilla, and beat.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl. Fluff with fork. Add to wet ingredients in mixing bowl and mix until just combined.
Add chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, and quinoa/oats flakes to mixing bowl. Mix gently until just incorporated.
Drop by tablespoons full onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
For bar cookies: press mixture into (1) greased 9″ by 13″ pan or (2) greased 8″ square pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, until browned on top and inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
© Copyright 2009-2010 by Wardee Harmon. All rights reserved.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!
I want to help you look good, feel good, and do good...
... with 100s of videos and recipes, step-by-step tutorials, and easy-to-implement weekly menu plans.
It's the healthiest, tastiest, and most natural food you've ever imagined... the way God meant you to prepare it. As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 9 traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!