Raw Cow’s Milk Ice Cream (and Little Waffles)

The friend who made waffles and soap with me the other day gave us a gallon of raw cow’s milk. Something we’ve never had before. Our consumption of it is a test of sorts, for at least A. and Jeff, who show milk allergies.

I have become a theoretical believer in the possibility that their allergies could be a reaction to pasteurized cow’s milk, which no longer contains all the God-given enzymes for its digestion.

Yesterday we took tastes of the raw milk. Wow! Was the milk ever good! Then I made ice cream from 6 cups of it (as much cream as I could), and using twenty-four dates as the sweetener. Out of this world. It was a little on the soft side when we ate it last night. Our leftovers tonight should be perfect. (We really love our coconut milk ice cream and have grown away from enjoying animal-milks, so this says alot.)

And on another note, I got brave and tried waffles with my little cast-iron waffle iron. Or, rather than exhibiting bravery, I should say I was inspired by the activities of Thursday. Each set of waffles took 6 minutes. Pretty long! But the kids loved them. I am considering purchasing two of these larger cast-iron waffle irons from Amazon.com. The reviews seem good; the only problem people have is sticking when the iron isn’t properly seasoned. Even though they’re designed for grill or gas burner, it seems people are using them on an electric range. I can use my little one on the electric range, so I think I would be able to use these, too.

Comments

1. Mary says

The cast iron waffle irons look cool. Two would certainly shorten the time for fixing them. :-) I noticed the cast iron pizza pan at the bottom of the waffle iron ad. Too cool! I better get off the computer before I am tempted to indulge in kitchen equipment! My one vice as you know! Blessings! Mary

I love ice cream made with milk…straight from the cow! We have friends who own a large dairy farm – and they love to treat visitors to a batch of homemade ice cream! It is delicious! Sounds great with waffles too! and to think…a little bit more healthy ice cream!

3. Tiffany says

Wardee,
    How was the ice-cream? How did your family tolerate it? I hope it was okay with them. The waffles look delicious also. I want to get a cast iron waffle maker now, mine is the “evil” non-stick stuff.
    Love,
    Tiffany

Tiffany,

I think everyone tolerated it fine! Isn’t that great? I ordered two of the waffle irons I mentioned. They should be here Thursday and I’ll let you know. I also am going to look in town tomorrow for some iron trivets to put over the electric burner to give a flat surface and spread the heat out under the irons. My friend Jami thought of those and did the research to find them for us! So I can let you know about those, too.

4. Sonya Hemmings says

Hi, Wardee:

I would be interested in the trivets you find, too, as I have an electric range and would like to try the same waffle irons you have ordered.

Love,

Sonya

Sonya,

We may have to go back to the drawing board on that one. My friend just emailed me to say that the local hardware store sold out of the trivets and they may not have worked anyway because they sit up higher than the burner… I will keep you posted because we are both looking for solutions! If you (or anyone) have ideas, please share…

5. Tina says

Hi Wardee,

I very much enjoy your site. I made the fosooli (?sp) a few days ago and we really enjoyed it. I have quite a bit of raw milk I need to use up soon and I thought I would make some homemade ice cream with it. Could you tell me exactly how you made yours (recipe that it). I’d like to make it without white sugar since I have 5 children recovering from the chicken pox! I have kept them on a very strict diet, but am thinking of treating them to some ice cream now that the worst is over. Thanks so much.

Blessings,
    Tina in WV

Tina, I am happy you enjoyed the fasooli! My goodness, the chicken pox! You have been through much, haven’t you?

The ice cream is much like our vanilla coconut ice cream, the exception being that I puree 24 dates with the 5 to 6 cups of milk, whatever kind, and then chill the mixture thoroughly (it also has 2 to 3 T of vanilla). Then freeze according to the directions of the ice cream maker. Really simple!

6. Tina says

Thank you so much! I’ll give it a try. And, yes, we have had quite a time around here. My 12 yo got it the worst and is still not feeling well after a week. My almost 16 yo was started on acyclovir right away and did not get nearly as bad a case. The 17 mo and 3 yo weathered them quite well. The 10 yo was the first and had about 500 pox. Now we are trying to keep her face from scarring. More than you probably wanted to know. I feel like a chicken pox expert now!

Thanks again.