Fasooli (White Beans and Rice)

Soaked Great Northern Beans

This is one of my favorite growing up dishes. The flavor is excellent; it is warming and filling. I still don’t think I make it as well as my Mom does, but I try! The photo above is of the Great Northern beans I finished soaking this morning (see How to Cook Dry Beans). The photo below is of the finished beans in the tomato sauce.

As a side note, I love to use my pasta pot for cooking beans. Draining is simple — just pull out the insert over the sink. Voila! Beans are easily separated from the water. Rinse right in the pasta insert also.

Fasooli (Fuh-SOO-lee)
Arabic White Beans & Rice

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
  • 3 cups cooked great northern beans or navy beans
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 3 cups filtered water
  • 3 cups brown rice, cooked
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Over medium heat, saute onions in olive oil. After a few minutes, add garlic. Stir frequently. Let onions saute until transparent and soft.

In a 4 cup measuring cup, mix tomato paste with water until smooth.

Add great northern beans, spices and tomato paste/water mixture to pot. Taste, adjust seasonings if necessary. Simmer to heat all ingredients thoroughly.

Turn off heat. Serve over warm brown rice.

Delicious served with stewed lamb meat, or chicken chunks.

© Copyright 2008 by Wardee Harmon.

Comments

1. Tiffany says

Wardee,
    That sounds very good, I think I will make it tomorrow for dinner, its supposed to be a stormy day, and that sounds like comfort food. I would love to see more “ethnic” foods.
    love,
    Tiffany

I made this for dinner tonight and even my 2 year old ate it! :)

I served it with chicken, and I didn’t have a can of tomato paste, so I put a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes in the food processor and added a little less water than was called for. It turned out great! Thank you!

3. anna s. says

I was a bit wary of this recipe, seemed like it was too simple or not enough spices….But it was delicious and both of my girls ate it without complaining about eating beans for dinner. everyone was satisfied and enjoyed it. Thank you, Wardee for all of the wonderful content you provide!

4. Hala says

I was looking for Middle Eastern Bean and Rice dish to make for Pot Luck. I notice that Halal meat often tastes really bad. Do you know of source of good meat that is Halal? I wast thinking of adding lamb to Bean and Rice dish.

5. Kristy S says

This is an awesome recipie. I’ll add chicken breast cubes to make it healthier, and it can be served over any type of rice.

I come across many of your recipies when I try to cook like my Palestinian mother-in-law, whose food is all my hubby likes to eat when I cook. Thanks for posting all your recipies as translations from the other side of the world are ard to master when attempting to teach me a favorite dish.

I would like to say a big thank you for the very helpful videos on cooking, among other things, beans from dry. I’ve been trying to get a good result for ages, always used to use tins of beans but wanted to change that. Now after watching the video and reading through the recipe I think it should work. You also have lovely recipes. What a wonderful website. Thank you very much.

1. […] Fasooli (Arabic White Beans and Rice). Another favorite dish from growing up. My mom always made this with lamb, but used sparingly. Even though the meat we ate growing up was very good, there was never enough of it. This recipe is not written with meat, but you always have the option of allowing chunks of lamb to simmer with the beans. […]

2. […] Soup with kale (adapted from a recipe in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon Morell) Wednesday: Fasooli, stewed antelope Thursday: Spicy Bean Soup (from Grain Free Meal Plans) , guacamole Friday: […]