Here are chocolate chunks that I made using honey as the sweetener. These are not overly sweet either. One could reduce the coconut oil and increase the honey to increase the overall sweetening.
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2/3 cup raw honey (or agave, though not recommended)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional) — OR — 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (optional)
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder, sifted
Grease a mold — such as a mini loaf pan, a loaf pan, or a square baking pan — with coconut oil.
Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add honey (or agave) and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes, while stirring constantly. Remove from heat promptly.
Stir in cocoa powder, until smooth. Transfer to mold. Press down, using clean fingers or the back of a spoon. Smooth top.
Let cool in either refrigerator or freezer.
Cut into chunks or shave. Use in cookies, ice cream, brownies, cakes, etc. Or eat as is!
© Copyright 2008 by Wardee Harmon