Homemade Chocolate Chunks

chocolatechunks.jpg

Here are chocolate chunks that I made using honey as the sweetener. These are not overly sweet either. One could reduce the coconut oil and increase the honey to increase the overall sweetening.

• 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 2/3 cup raw honey (or agave, though not recommended)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional) — OR — 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (optional)
  • 1 cup good quality cocoa powder, sifted

Grease a mold — such as a mini loaf pan, a loaf pan, or a square baking pan — with coconut oil.

Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add honey (or agave) and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes, while stirring constantly. Remove from heat promptly.

Stir in cocoa powder, until smooth. Transfer to mold. Press down, using clean fingers or the back of a spoon. Smooth top.

Let cool in either refrigerator or freezer.

Cut into chunks or shave. Use in cookies, ice cream, brownies, cakes, etc. Or eat as is!

© Copyright 2008 by Wardee Harmon

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

1. Angelique Greetham says

Do they melt at room temp? Also could this be used in chocolate moulds? I’m excited to have chocolate again since I cut out sugar from my diet.

2. Adrianne says

I will try these tonight. Not only are we trying to avoid refined sugar, we are also gluten and casein free and I have to avoid caffeine- I am breastfeeding and my daughter is INCREDIBLY sensitive to caffeine. (No sleep for 2 days after one tiny bite of chocolate with no change in 14 months. Ugh.)

I experienced a miracle two weeks ago when I discovered WonderCocoa that is 99.7% caffeine free!!!! Only, most chocolate flavored desserts are made with (you guessed it) CHOCOLATE! (Not cocoa.) Now, I can make my own caffeine free chocolate chips!

I’m really hoping this will open up a whole bunch of recipe possibilities. Thanks!

Adrianne, I hope this recipe will help you! It is tricky; boiling the honey makes the chocolate chunks chewy. But it is the only way I found to use a liquid sweetener in this type of chocolate. I am now experimenting making chocolate chunks using Rapadura (unrefined sugar cane).

I’m so sorry for the caffeine sensitivity! I’m sure it is good all around to avoid it, though, especially for yours and your daughter’s sanity! God bless your family!

3. Dave says

F.Y.I.
    If you let the chocolate sit out at room temp to cool/dry they will not melt at room temp and possibly won’t melt in your hand! Cooling or freezing them forces stage 1 crystallization on the chocolate which prevents the chocolate from ever being able to not melt when at room temp! The warmer the temperature is when they are drying the longer it takes but that also means a higher stage of crystallization, which is ideal!

4. Kaw says

Why is agave not recommended, please? Is it a taste issue, consistency issue or what exactly? Has anyone found a work-around whatever problem there is with agave?

• Diana Davenport says

Yes, please explain the agave thing.
      I know all about fructose being “the worst thing for you” and all, but af ALL other natural sweeteners trigger things in my body that I don’t like – and I’m not going to eat any of the fake ones. So, being otherwise pretty well-informed, i trust my body as my own personal expert. So if that’s the reason, all due respect, I’ll forge ahead with my agave.
      However, if it is some other reason, details would be nice to get pointed in the right direction to experiment. Thanks for your help.

5. Coreen says

Thank you so much for this recipe. Nothing complicated and, my favorite part, it’s GAPS legal! :) The almond extract is brilliant.