I was just looking around at the www.sproutman.com website (specifically, his article section). He's got a link to a PDF article explaining that consuming large amounts of buckwheat greens may cause people to become phototoxic, or sensitive to light. The article cites veterinary scientific research that the author, Gilles Arbour, backs up with his and his wife's own experiences with buckwheat greens.
In spite of the toxicity that buckwheat greens may cause when consumed in great quantities, the article puts forward the conclusion that buckwheat greens consumed in small quantities will not cause a toxicity. The people who usually get sick are those who juice buckwheat greens 3 and 4 times per day.
Update 4-19-2009: My family continues to eat buckwheat microgreens, in rotation with many other sprouted, home-grown, and locally-grown greens. The quantities which we consume are not large enough to cause toxicity, we feel.
Please go to Buckwheat and Skin Sensitivity to read the article by Gilles Arbour.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!