Genius Breakfast Cereal

Note: I now make this recipe to include a soaking step to increase digestibility and reduce phytic acid. Rinse the grains, combine them in a pot with water, and add 1 tablespoon of whey, raw apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice. Cover and let soak for at least 7 hours or overnight. After the soaking, proceed with the cooking directions.

Branching out here this morning… I’ve had this recipe saved to try for a few months. Someone shared it on a Yahoo! group. None of these grains have gluten and none of them are wheat (obviously). I’ll have to let you know what the family thinks. B. is scooping hers out right now.

My notes: I doubled the recipe. I omitted the cinnamon and instead used a total of 1/2 teaspoon Five-Spice Powder, along with a pinch of stevia. At the end of the cooking time, I added raisins and unsweetened shredded coconut. Also, I couldn’t rinse the amaranth in my fine mesh strainer because the grains are so tiny they fell through the holes.

GENIUS BREAKFAST CEREAL
from Ft. Collins Food Co-op

“Many of us do not get the proper boost of brain food first thing in the morning. Combining 3 nutritional powerhouse grains is one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to start your day with a bowl brimming with goodness.”

“Millet, quinoa and amaranth are all high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Millet is a B vitamin gold mine that also contains iron, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium and alkaline (making millet a great breakfast cereal if you have an upset stomach). Quinoa, which contains all 8 of the essential amino acids (and amaranth, a lysine-rich food), provides a complete protein. But how does “Genius Breakfast Cereal” taste? Chewy, satisfying and complex – a taste one would expect a genius to crave.”

Ingredients: (Make sure you choose organic only!)

• 1 / 2 cup millet
  • 1 / 4 cup quinoa
  • 2 tablespoons amaranth
  • 2 cups water
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 / 4 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
  • chopped nuts and fruit, optional

Rinse well and drain grains with fine-mesh strainer (except amaranth). Add 2 3 /4 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until all grains are soft. Add cinnamon, honey (milk or soy milk), nuts and fruit. Eat while listening to a concerto. Then spend the rest of your day working out higher math equations, composing a symphony, writing a novel, or thinking great thoughts. Guaranteed, this cereal will make you feel – and think — like a genius!

Comments

1. Dawn says

Wardee, I try to choose organic when I can, and specifically for those foods that absorb the most pesticides/herbicides (ie, soft-skinned fruits + veggies), but I was curious as to why you specifically stated to choose organic only for these grains. Though my memory is a bit fuzzy, I don’t recall ever having seen any of them on the lists of the most important foods to buy organic. Maybe that’s just because these grains are used so rarely by the population at large?
    The cereal sounds like it would be quite tasty – definitely something different! Let us know how your kids like it. If it’s a success, I might try it on my husband :)

Dawn, the original recipe from the Ft. Collins Food Co-op included that little bit to buy only organic. I do happen to agree, which is why I left that statement there. In my opinion, we should buy organic grains because we eat more grains than anything else. Each grain may have a lower concentration of pesticide residue than fruits & veggies, but if we eat alot of it, that means we are taking in alot of pesticides. In addition, typically we don’t wash grains to rinse off the residues that might be there. It is also a matter of supporting good agricultural practices — the process of growing organically is better for the environment. Another thing that comes into play is whether or not the grains are genetically-modified (GMO or non-GMO). If you can’t buy organic, I would at least encourage you to make sure your grains are non-GMO or chemical-free, especially in the case of wheat, soy and corn. The grains in this cereal are probably not GMO, but if you buy organic, you can be sure they were never sprayed or crop-dusted. It is my opinion that grains are among the most important foods to buy organically. I hope I’ve been helpful. We (Jeff and I) tend not to rely on studies or statistics because we think our intuition and observation about God’s world should be ample information to guide us in these decisions.

2. gerlthouse says

We tried this this morning and we all loved it! We used Maple Syrup instead of honey so the baby could join us. He loved it!

3. Karena says

How many servings is the above recipe? It sounds interesting!
    Thanks ahead of time!

I would say that as written it is probably about 3 servings. I double it for my family of 5 and we have a bit leftover. That’s not precise, but I hope it is helpful. I think you’ll like it!

Lovely blog! I enjoyed browsing and especially like your gluten free recipes. Thanks for sharing them. If you are interested, you are welcome to join our gluten free (dairy free, egg free, meat free) Yahoo group. We have MANY recipes in the “files” section that I think you might enjoy for your family. Hope to see you there! :)

LaTeaDah

Hi! Thank you for the invitation. How do I get there? -Wardee

Hi!
    I’ve been reading through your blog! you are amazing!! My son is on a GFCF diet. I’d really like to add some more nutrition to his diet. I just ordered a vitamix and can’t wait to get it. i am thinking of ordering some things in bulk but am overwhelmed b/c i am so unfamiliar with much of the items.
    I’d like to add a good, wholesome bread to his diet. And, healthy smoothies. Also, a hearty breakfast. he always loved oatmeal but can’t have that anymore. Can you help me get started? I just need some direction on a few items, then i can go from there. We’ve been GFCF for over a year and it has helped my son immensely but i feel he is needing some more nutrition. I would be very greatful!!
    Alicia

How exciting to be getting a Vita-Mix! I want to warn you about the recipe book that comes with it — I don’t feel that many of the recipes are too nutritious; there are alot of processed foods, many containing MSG. So I use it for ideas but do alot of subbing.

What do you mean by CF? Is this corn-free?

I would be more than happy to help you come up with ideas. You’re looking for breakfasts. This breakfast cereal is a really good! You might also try Cold Quinoa Breakfast Cereal. You can make pancakes easily with gluten free milled grains. Buckwheat flour, water, baking powder and cinnamon make simple and easy pancakes. Use 4 cups of buckwheat flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten free), 1 tablespoon cinnamon and add water to make a pancake consistency batter. I think it would take somewhere between 3 and 5 cups of water. Cook as you normally would, and a well-seasoned cast iron skillet is terrific for this.

The health food section of the stores probably carry those Arrowhead Mills puffed cereals — they have millet, rice, amaranth, corn (you wouldn’t want that one). They are inexpensive. The other commercial GF cereals are super expensive so I don’t recommend those. I haven’t updated my shopping lists here on my blog with GF items, so that won’t be a help to you right now.

Do you know if he is allergic to certified gluten-free oats or is it the oats themselves? I just noticed the other day that from Azure Standard, one can buy certified gluten-free oats.

I only have one working bread recipe and it is: Gluten Free Quick Sandwich Bread. The recipe is not perfect, and I’m working on some better breads for the future. You could make flat-breads and/or batter breads. Here are a couple of those recipes: Quinoa Dinner Cakes and GF Flatbreads.

For smoothies, you’ll have so much fun experimenting! Here are the keys: fruit (fresh or frozen), ice (but not if using enough frozen fruit), liquid (water, juice, nut milk, rice milk), and natural sweetener (not necessary, but optional). Use some of the sweeter fruits — bananas, pineapple, blueberries. The liquid to fruit ratio is what you’ll have to work on. Generally, I will fill the VM container with fruit and then fill it with liquid to about 1/2 or 3/4 of the fruit’s height. More frozen stuff will mean you need more liquid, otherwise the smoothie is too thick (unless you like it that way). Really, you can’t go too wrong. Play around with it.

I would be happy to help you more, as I know your needs more. Feel free to email me: —– and we can correspond that way. God bless you, Alicia!

6. amygirl says

I hope it is OK to leave a note for Alicia- i’m thinking cf is casein free- as are we.

There is a great list yahoo lists gfcfkids.

Also this is one of the best links on the internet.

I think Wardee’s recipes are some of the most creative and I can’t wait to try them.

Wardee- if you want to shoot Alicia my email that is fine if she wants to email me.
    Amy

Thanks, Amy! That was a duh moment. I should have known it was casein. I’m used to saying dairy-free, as we avoid all dairy, not just the casein. Thanks for the links. Thanks for helping Alicia. Alicia, if you’d like Amy’s email, let me know.

7. amygirl says

yum!!!!!!! i finally made this today. did not have amaranth. also added the salt when cooking..i assume that is what you meant which is usually what i do w/ grains. added agave, walnuts, almond milk on top…YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! I’m so glad to hear it. (And I’m eating some right now for my breakfast.)

hi there- i’m a recent reader of your blog and loving it! thank you for the wonderful recipe! this recipe really resonated with me because these are some of the grains that i’ve really been trying to incorporate recently. a quick question though- you said 2 cups water in the ingredients list, and 2 3/4 on the instructions. which would be better? thanks so much!

Noosh — Oops! Sorry! It is a range, so either would be fine. I started upping it to 2-3/4 because I liked it better that way. I’ll fix that inconsistency in the recipe notes today. In the meantime, I’d say use 2-3/4. Unless you like really thick hot cereal. :D

9. Kelli says

Wardee,
    We had this today and we liked it a lot. Thanks for yet another keeper.
    One question about nutritional yeast, is it the same as Brewer’s yeast? I was going to order some from Azure and got myself all confused.
    Kelli

10. shellycat says

YUMMY!! That seems to be my starting comment for the last few recipes I’ve found on line. Whoever said eating healthy was boring has never tried this!! I added maple syrup to sweeten(it’s my lifetime addiction,I feel like a trader to my own honey crop). Almonds and cranberries are a great combo in this cereal!

11. jason says

Dawn, you should look for a local buyer’s club or coop store that orders from someplace like UNFI or Azure Standard. You can get organic grains for the same price (or cheaper) than conventional, if you’re willing to buy in larger quantity.

You should be able to find a buyer’s club in your area by contacting the wholesale company through their website.