French Press — Not Just for Coffee

Jeff and I have our birthdays are December, but we got to celebrate a bit in February when my parents came to visit. You see, they finally (just kidding, Mom) gave us our joint birthday gift.

bodumpress2.jpg

We are tea drinkers. Coffee drinkers on occasion. This 12-cup French press was made for coffee and tea. But I think it was made for me. ;)

I put the loose tea (usually Daily Health Herb Tea) in the pot along with xylitol for sweetening — pour boiling water over all up to the top — put the press on the top (but don’t press down) — let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes — press down — all the tea is trapped under the fine sieve — pour out hot, healthy, yummy tea into each cup. No mess, no drips, no loose tea leaves. The press insulates the contents, keeping them hot for 2 hours. It cleans up so easily. I hand dry it after washing to prevent hard water spots.

Thanks, Mom & Dad!

Comments

I have seen those and wondered about them. So, the tea leaves are trapped below the water? I was thinking they just sit at the bottom in the water, under the sieve. It would cause the tea to become bitter, if the tea leaves are left there. Interesting. I’ll have to look more into this. :D

Michelle, actually there is water down there at the bottom. It doesn’t separate the leaves from the water, but it presses the leaves down to the bottom out of the water on top. The water still circulates throughout. Does that make sense?

We usually drink all the tea in the pot so we don’t have bitterness. If you’re concerned about bitterness, you could make a smaller batch.

For coffee, the insulation factor is really nice!

3. Anne Galvin Bremer says

Wardee:

Teff is used in Ethiopia and Somalia to make a delicious bread staple called “injera.” Injera is rolled up into the shape of an ace bandage and is kind of a sourdough pancake kind of thing. It is used to scoop up meat and vegetable-based dishes which are served from a communal platter. I grew to love injera after having been introduced to it by Somali staff I supervised at the Red Cross in San Diego.

Here is a hyperlink to an injera recipe:

Anne who usually lurks.

4. Martha says

You are most welcome!! (for the tea/coffee french press) I am happy that you are enjoying it! Now I would like to look up the 12 grain cereal (it was SOOOO delicious) and start making the mix myself, also the tea recipe. Do you think that after soaking garbanzo beans (but not cooking them) I could use the Vitamix to render them into chunch-size pieces?? Love you, Mom

Mom, now the cereal is up to 14 grains. :D Wish I could share.

In my experience, the Vita-Mix won’t circulate soaked garbanzo beans well without some liquid added. You could try, though. Do you have a manual food chopper? I would use that. What are you going to do with them?

6. Martha says

I’m going to add them to my vegetarian stuffing for grape leaves. I do have a manual chopper which is a Pampered Chef chopper (really nice) and you can guess where I found it: The thrift store! Love to you! Mom

My Dhusband and I have been looking for a press for some time..the biggest one we could find was very small and was plastic..where do you find them?? this one looks great!! love from Vt

Mona, if you follow the link, you’ll see you can buy it from Amazon.com. My parents bought mine at a local coffee shop, though (in MT where they live). You could go into a coffee shop near where you live and see if they’ll special order this one. It is the 12-cup Bodum Columbia Thermal. It is the biggest one I have ever seen. I think Bodum makes an 8-cup Columbia Thermal too.

Thanks Wardee..in all our looking it didn’t occur to me to check a coffee shop..we have a good one in Middlebury, I will check there..thank you Dear One! warm hugs