Spanish Rice

• 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 6 tablespoons tomato paste plus enough water to make 4-1/4 cups

Put rice, olive oil and all spices in a 4 quart pot. Combine water and tomato paste and stir until smooth. Poor over rice and spices. Bring contents of pot to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let cook, undisturbed, for 50 minutes. Turn off heat, fluff with fork and serve.

© Copyright 2006 by Wardee Harmon

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

I was going to ask you how you make your Spanish Rice, after reading that that is what you are having for dinner tonight. :D

Thank you!

2. Michelle says

I am going to try this. We have been searching for Spanish Rice recipe. We refuse to buy the packaged kind at the grocery story. It is full of MSG. Thanks for the recipe.

3. Michelle says

WE had this the other night with our Garlic Beef Enchiladas. My husband liked it very much, but wants more seasoning in it next time. He likes strong seasonings. LOL

4. Melissa says

I made this rice tonight, and my husband said it was the BEST Spanish rice he has ever eaten! Thanks so much!!

Melissa, that is awesome! Thanks for letting me know.

As I had mentioned with the refried beans (at the refried beans page)…I loved this rice. My two year old COULD NOT GET ENOUGH! We do Taco Tuesday each week (but sometimes burritos, or healthy nachos) and this rice is a fabulous addition!

6. Janine says

I was just wondering about how to make Spanish rice cooking the traditional way. I was curious about how the soaking fits into the process. Spanish rice is a favorite at our house but I am not sure how to make it work. This recipe doesn’t call for soaking first, does the the tomato sauce’s acid contribute to the process?