This is a family favorite! For company, I stretch the meat by adding 4 cups of cooked green lentils to the meat mixture, while (just about if not entirely) doubling the sauce ingredients.
- 2 cups dry brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water plus 2 T raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups stock
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (or ground buffalo)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- garnishes: sliced olives, thinly sliced or diced onions, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, and/or homemade cultured dairy, chopped cilantro, shredded raw cheese
In a 2 to 3 quart pot, soak the rice in the 2 cups of water and raw apple cider vinegar overnight. The next day, add the 2 cups stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed and grains are fluffy and tender. This will be about a half hour if the grains have soaked overnight. Remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
While rice is cooking, put the ground beef in a 4 to 6 quart stock pot. Over medium heat, brown the beef. Add onions and garlic. Saute until soft. In a 4 cup measuring cup, whisk together: water, tomato paste, sea salt, pepper, olive oil, and honey. Add sauce mixture to meat. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Fill bowls with rice, then meat sauce, then desired garnishes. The picture shows a Sloppy Joe’s bowl garnished with diced shredded homemade goat cheese, diced onions, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and a drizzle of “sour cream.” I make our “sour cream” by blending homemade chevre or kefir cheese with raw milk to a drizzly sour cream consistency.
© 2006-2009 by Wardee Harmon
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!
Provide your family with healthy, delicious, nourishing meals! As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!