Green Smoothie: Banana-Pear-Pineapple-Spinach

Awhile back, I shared that Jeff and I are regularly consuming green smoothies. We drink one with breakfast and then another before dinner. I also mentioned that I don’t serve the smoothies to the children, but I was hoping they would eventually start asking to share our green smoothies. Here’s the update. For several weeks now, A. has been drinking and enjoying two green smoothies every day. Yesterday, C. and B. asked for a half a cupful, which they enjoyed so much, they asked for more. Both of them said it tasted good!

You can find more information about green smoothies here.

This is the green smoothie recipe that I generally follow each morning.

Green Smoothie: Banana-Pear-Pineapple-Spinach

We have a Vita-Mix and it can handle this amount. If you have a regular blender, you should reduce it by half.

• heaping 1/4 cup of flax seeds
  • two large or three small bananas, peeled and cut in thirds (frozen or fresh)
  • 2 ripe pears, washed and cut in halves
  • 6 to 8 big chunks of frozen pineapple
  • 5 ounces of spinach (about 2 huge handfuls) or other greens*
  • 4 cups of water or until blender container is 3/4 full
  • 8 ice cubes

Put the flax seeds in the bottom of the Vita-Mix wet container, followed by all the fresh ingredients, then the frozen. Pour water over all. Secure lid and tamper. Start blending on low to get a good water base going with the softer ingredients. Smoothly increase the variable speed and flip to high to break up the frozen ingredients. Blend until smooth.

*Other greens (rotate for diversity): 3 or 4 leaves of chard, kale or collards, broken up into pieces that fit into the blender.

*Jeff likes smoothies thin and icey, so I pour out half of the mixture into two Tupperware tumblers with lids. To the remainder left in the Vita-Mix, I add 1 to 2 cups more water and 6 more ice cubes and reblend just to incorporate the water and break up the ice. We consume this amount, between all of us. I store the Tupperware tumblers in the refrigerator to save for later in the day, where it will keep for up to 24 hours. When we are ready for our pre-dinner green smoothie, I pour the amount I stored back into the Vita-Mix wet container, add 1 to 2 cups water and 6 ice cubes, secure the lid and tamper and reblend to incorporate the water and break up the ice.

© Copyright 2006 by Wardee Harmon

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

Dear Wardee,

Hello Friend! I hope your day is going well. :) I have been having smoothies or green juices each day. I feel so much better when I drink them.

Thank you very very much for your kind words in regards to the son I gave up. I was blessed to read your kind words.

Have a wonderful Wednesday afternoon/evening! :D

Hello, Robin! I feel much better too. In fact, I think I might not be so anemic anymore. I won’t know until I visit the doctor. You have a wonderful day, too!

Wardee,
    I’m assuming that the flax seeds give a certain amount of viscosity to the smoothie… if I don’t use flax seeds will the smoothies still be thick? Maybe I’m giving too much credit to the flax seeds :lol:
    I want to try these, but I am so skeptical of how my family will react to them. Green is looked upon with suspiscion around here :lol: Right now we only make soy milk smoothies.
    Did you post a link to other recipes on the message board? I’ll go take a look…
    I took blue green algae liquid every day when I was pregnant. And then barley juice in later years. It really did give me energy and build up my iron stores!

Sylvia, the smoothie will still be thick without the flax seeds. :) Occasionally I’m out of flax seeds for a day or two and our smoothies’ texture is much the same.

I understand about family reactions! :) Why don’t you try a smoothie with 70% or 80% fruit, just to start? Then you can gradually up the green content once everybody realizes that even though they’re green, they’re good! You could mention the Incredible Hulk — he’s green, but he’s good.

The link in this post has more recipes. :)

5. Debbie says

Amazing smoothie recipe!!!!! I’m hooked!! Any other green smoothie recipes you recommend?? Also, what do you do for breakfast?? I’m new to green smoothies and thought that the smoothies are breakfast. I’m excited to know that they supplement breakfast. I’m curious what things you recommend for breakfast?
    Thanks!

Debbie, hello! Aren’t they good? We go in phases and have them for a few months and then have a break for a few months. For me, I only need a green smoothie for breakfast and then a snack mid-morning. For my husband, he needs some hot cereal along with his green smoothie. So, in your case, I would say you should listen to your body and figure out what you need.

As for good breakfast foods — whole grain toast w/ natural peanut butter and naturally sweetened jam; oatmeal; multi-grain hot cereal; whole grain muffin; granola. Look in my recipe section for many of my own recipes for these breakfast foods. I have other smoothie recipes in there, too.

But the best rule of thumb on those smoothies is to use 60% fruit and 40% greens. Add plenty of water; adjust to your desired consistency. Same thing with ice. Smoothies that aren’t cold aren’t too good! ;) Use sweet fruits like bananas, blueberries, pineapple and others too.

Let me know if I can help you any more!

6. Larry says

I’m curious as to what percent veggie/fruit you typically make and what percent you would estimate your above recipe to be? I am new to this and when I look at green smoothie recipes the majority of them seem to actually be fruit smoothies with a little green thrown in. Thanks.

I shoot for 60% fruit and 40% greens. I push the greens content myself because I want them power-packed. The best-testing smoothies use the sweetest fruit (bananas, pineapple, blueberries) because then they have plenty of sweetness to make the greens tasty. I think you’re right that most green smoothie recipes are lighter on the greens. Every recipe is flexible, though. Play around with your own proportions. Hope this helps. -Wardee