I’ve taken this salad to countless potlucks, and also served it many times when we have guests for a meal. It’s super easy and tasty.
- 6 to 8 apples, cleaned and with the peel left on (Pink Lady apples are delicious!)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- good water
- 1/4 cup raw honey, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped (soaked and dehydrated) nuts (I used almonds)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
Fill a large bowl about 1/2 full of water and add the lemon juice. Quarter each apple, then cut the core out. Thinly slice wedges off each quarter. Add to the bowl just as soon as they are sliced to keep from browning. As the bowl gets full, rotate the apples to make sure each slice comes into contact with the lemon juice. Add more water if necessary. When all apples are sliced and coated, drain the excess water. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Adjust seasonings and sweetener to taste. Chill if not serving right away.
I updated this post on 5/10/2010 to include soaked and dehydrated nuts (to deactivate enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid).
© Copyright 2006-2010 by Wardee Harmon
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.